Gear talk

251–275 of 654

I loved the old leather boots I got issued. You soaked those bad boys in hot water, then shoved them on sopping wet and walked in them until they dried. It truly sucked going through ...
1 2
Leatherman factory tour.. https://gearjunkie.com/leatherman-facility-tour-tim-leatherman
1 2 3
@Kreig re Mylar Poncho: I don't go around looking like a slow roast chook as a matter of course, but it does get some use. Typical situation is when it's cold wet and windy, but you're ...
1 2 3
Maori had parawai too: flax sandals. There's a pair in the Canterbury museum. Maori could knock up a pair in 20 minutes. For travelling on scree they could weave in another layer. I imagine the ...
1 2
I've loved the look of tarp tents for awhile
Torpedo7 was selling Kelty for a while
1 2 3
Went offline for awhile. Now I'm back for awhile. :)
1 2
Gun City are clearing their stitch-seam models as the new versions have welded seams. From $399 online, discounted to $378, I couldn't resist one at $299 off the hanger. http://www.guncity.com/hunters-element-xtr-jacket-green-121997 ...
If you're financially comfortable enough, then ditching the 3.2kg pack for a 1.730kg pack, that does the same job, looks a good idea. That's 1.47 kg of extra weight (dead weight) you're carrying every ...
1 2
Definitely bring your tent. I've taken my very well used tent into NZ many times - always checked but never any problems. Stains/marks don't matter but make sure all dirt, seeds, vegetable matter have been removed (including ...
Back in my cycling days we had an expression: "An ounce on the wheel is like a pound on the frame". I reckon it's the same with footwear. I also hung up my heavy boots ...
1 2
Yeah the under shoe band fits easy enough as it's a Velcro fasting on both sides, so will be very easy to replace when they wear out.
1 2
I have enough trouble getting size 15/16 to fit let alone a size larger to enable to pair of sock to help cushion the feet.
@Honora I probably shouldn't resist it. The rest of my gear has slowly been replaced with lightweight alternatives so not sure why I'm pausing at the bag!
Kia Ora, We are wondering what people experiences is with Sierra Design Tents? Both good and bad, The reason why I ask is that we are looking at retailing them (however only if they live up to the ...
I had a free version of the New Zealand Topo Maps on my smart phone. It gave my location free of charge and allowed me to map 3 routes. I've now upgraded to the paid ...
1 2
Exped "Comfort Series" are great for those of us who like a bit of room in their bags. Various weights available
1 2
I would like to know how you get on with it as I am also 6'2" and looking for a similar tent. @lloydy how does the size work for you?
1 2
Certainly true Waynowski. For example the jackets they sold were the cheaper laminates (eg Venture) rather than their more expensive ones using Goretex membranes. But, then that was more the market they were aiming at - ...
1 2 3 4
It's essentially the same boot. Lowa made some 'improvements' to the original about 18 months or so ago. I've compared the new one to my own - hardly a difference. The newer version has ball ...
1 2
If you are sweating no hard shell jacket can breath quickly enough to keep you dry. Some do breath better then others, but it is barely noticeable in real life conditions. When tramping in the ...
For summer use I'd recommend a sleeping quilt, I got one last year from Polish outfit recommended by Ian above http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-systems?cms_user=51cafb6d700077fe4e914590152c7f51 the Comforter 350, 560g. ...
Bivouac was willing to send me several pairs of boots at once so I could try them on for fit, then I would return the unwanted boots for a refund. Torpedo7 also has a very ...
get a jacket with vented pockets or pit zips, they let the moisture out better than any breathable membrane
I ended up getting a Lite line 400 sleeping bag from Cumulus in Poland. http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/lite-line-400?gid=61&vid=6 Thanks for the pointer from Lloydy. Took 11 days to arrive from pushing the butt...
1 2 3
251–275 of 654

Search the forums

Gear talk Gear lists, reviews, advice, maintenance.
Topics 654
Posts 8,838
Top contributors
Permanent link