Osprey for the girls

I need a smaller backpack and I'm trying to decide between the Kyte 46 and the 'ultralight' Exos 48. The weight difference is tempting but it's not everything for me. Has anyone had any experience with these bags?
*want
ofsprey make good stuff. They are common with the female trampers in our club but cant comment on the model
the exos is 100 denier weight of nylon throughout, that is light for a pack the kyte is 200 with reinforced high wear areas of 400 the exos won't stand up to much bush bashing and is going to get damaged a lot more easily if you're scraping up against rock you'll have to treat it with kid gloves like your average ultralight gear, the exos is for those who prioritise light weight over durability. you're saving a few hundred grams in weight, plus the kyte is a bigger pack giving you more flexibility in the length of trips you can do
I've had an exos 48 for several years and have found it robust. I've never concerned myself with how it stands up to wear and tear. I was so impressed, I bought an exos 56 for the 10 day trips on Stewart Island. So far all I've had to do is reinforce a couple of strap insertions with a bit of dental floss. All else is intact and I'm out most weekends with my exos packs.
"I've never concerned myself with how it stands up to wear and tear." And, even if it didn't, Osprey comes with a lifetime manufacturers warranty that covers wear and tear. (Function, not appearance.) http://www.ospreypacks.com/nz/en/customer-support/all-mighty-guarantee If the reason for *not* choosing an ultra-light option is purely about how long you think it might last before wearing out, they've created an incentive for you to go with it rather than something heavier and more durable. Weirdly they haven't excluded intentional damage.
Thanks all, I had read a few reviews on the durability of the Exos but overall it seemed minor (mesh stretching etc). I have a Viva 65 and it's served me well on 7 day hikes but that was when I packed a lot more. The new bag either 46 or 48 would take over for both short and long hikes so I suppose my main concern is comfort on a longer hike. Even though the Exos is super light it doesn't have the more 'luxurious' features of the Kyte. @Honora how do your shoulders feels after 7 days with the Exos 48? It'd be great if you could test run bags before you buy...
I can't recall if I've carried it for a 7 day trip, possibly a 5 day trip though I may have done but I don't keep a record of what gear I use on trips (unlike Frank!) but I carry a light pack e.g. 11kg for that length trip. I never get shoulder pain with the Exos packs that I own. Believe me, lightweight tramping is the way to go.
@Honora I probably shouldn't resist it. The rest of my gear has slowly been replaced with lightweight alternatives so not sure why I'm pausing at the bag!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by SianS
On 14 July 2016
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown