Gear talk

301–325 of 658

I don't want to sound ageist, but 8pm at night? Was he traversing over from Husky Flat and bit off more than he could chew? If he was then heading down the western side late in the ...
The Zephyros 2 looks good. However already bought the Lansan. Slept in it last night, was easy to set up and comfy and cosy but with perfect weather conditions it wasn't much of a test. ...
1 2
Last year (2015) we got the fright of our lives cresting a peak by a glider that was well below the 500ft rule. Shot straight over us so low we all ducked. Later I was ...
Good luck! :-)
1 2
@Castyn, Like you I struggle to find stuff that fits in traditional tramping shops. I've found most of my clothing including baselayers, fleece insulation layers and raincoats from safety workgear retailers like NZsafety, the rural supplie...
@madpom Yes ... totally agree with your experience. My shopping list includes: 1. 18650 Rechargeable batteries 2. A very clean even beam. (This is more important than most people think.) 3. Smoothly adjustable intensity 4. A secure ...
1 2 3
28g sounds like an attractive weight. Thanks for posting the how-to, Bernieq.
JETNZ - Asolo 535 wide. No point in complaining about the boots after 7 years, I agree. Oh I remember those long ago days when I could average 20km a day! Just managed to average that ...
BCC is on sale as well - 25% off. Includes online orders. Time to stock up :)
Tramping is clearly an NZ term, but as Brit who's been here 8 years it's one I most comfortable with now, and use regularly. As for hiking being an overseas term, it's probably more American than ...
1 2 3 4
So about Donald Duck's website. It does help but other than the big ticket items and then even then. You could mention checking out op shops. Our first tent was a 2person A-frame that we ...
1 2
@DonaldDuck: Oh yeah...that method rings a bell. Very cool. Another advantage of following a magnetic bearing in the field is that at night, the orienting arrow is sometimes luminous so easier to keep the red end ...
8 9 10 11 12
The Dragonfly has the same clip as do most superlight gas stoves. Its not the problem. The first shakerjet whisperlite alsohad the generator coil further from the burner and at low settings doesnt vaporize the fuel. ...
1 2 3
Nice one, hutchk! ;)
1 2
The bee knees were bad news if they got wet. The polarfleece holds water and would be a real drag as well.
I presume the OP is in Chch, and has sorted this out by now ?. I was in Westfield Riccarton mall of late, looking in Stirling Sports, Athletes Foot, Rebel Sport & Foot Locker. ...
1 2
Exped lite range all the way imo. Great bags. Well made, comfy. I find theres heaps of room in mine, but I do have the long size (Im over 6 foot tall). Im also quite ...
1 2 3
Ouch, 8kg of rice and lentils. Rather you than me mate. Best of luck with the TA. Hope all goes well
1 2 3 4 5
I used gaiters once. Ill pass on them in general now.
3 4 5 6 7
Thanks
Thanks for that Oringi reference. It's tempting. I have some fingerless fleece mittens, with a flip lid, which I bought from Kathmandu about 10 years ago and which I really like. My fingers freeze in regular ...
re knots for tarps, this is the system i now use http://andrewskurka.com/2012/tarp-guyline-system/
1 2 3
I got chased by a goose in the UK and remember leaping on to some cockie's porch to escape it. It was like a guard goose! Interesting to see those are canada geese being stroppy ...
1 2
@1strider - Mesh is against a nylon shell so yeah it's against a backing. Would be reasonably weather proof but probably not in downpours. It's got three zips; outer mesh, top main compartment and one ...
3 4 5 6 7
http://www.gearshop.co.nz/collections/sleeping-bags/products/dd-hammocks-jura-2-sleeping-bag-xl-olive Looks like a bulky beast, but has a waterproof foot-box as described. On special at the moment too :)
1 2 3 4 5
301–325 of 658

Search the forums

Gear talk Gear lists, reviews, advice, maintenance.
Topics 658
Posts 8,844
Top contributors
Permanent link