Knives

1–10 of 25

I generally take my ESEE 6 with me. What do you take?
we're not hunting here, a small multitool with whatever small blade happens to be on it, thats more than enough.
I have a Mercator, but if not hunting then I don't know why I still take it. Well actually I do because I can imagine hanging from somewhere and needing to cut my pack off, but then I can't be arsed carrying it and keep it in my pack...
I have various knives for various trips. Depends on what I expect to use it for. One knife I really like is a folded knife that has a decent blade on one end, and a stanley blade on the other. Often comes in handy....
Are there any restrictions on what kind of knives are allowed to bring into NZ? I don`t wanna go without one. I currently have a multitool, a swiss army knive ( the handy version, not the one with the build-in rocket thrower, atombomb etc...) And I have 2 folding knives, one lightweight with a ceramic blade and carbon shell. Blade length on both is under 10cm. They have neither a springmechanism, nor a drop-blade.
There are offensive weapons you are not allowed to bring into New Zealand: Knuckledusters, knives incorporating knuckledusters, swordsticks (including, without limitation, any identifiable components of swordsticks), and any weapon disguised to give the appearance of another article*. Any knife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife (sometimes known as a flick knife or flick gun). Any knife having a blade that is released from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force, and that, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other device (sometimes known as a gravity knife or butterfly knife). Any knife, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade less than 10 cm in length, that — is designed for ease of concealment on the person; or has a double-edged blade that is designed or suitable for stabbing or throwing (as opposed to cutting); or is a knife of any of the kinds sometimes known as a fist knife, gimlet knife, punch dagger, push dagger, push dirk, push knife, T-handled knife, or throwing knife. bayonets. * Note: This includes firearms disguised as other articles, such as walking stick shotguns. http://www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-prohibited-offensive-weapons/prohibited-offensive-weapons
Your not allowed to bring offensive weapons into new zealand as wayno said but you can buy them here. I like taking the ESEE 6 with me not only for hunting but also for tramping - comes in handy if you need to do handy-man work in the bush which a multi tool can not do
The Summary Offences Act (s13A) provides for a penalty of up to three months in prison or a fine of up to $2000 for possession of a knife in a public place without reasonable excuse. The Crimes Act (s202A) also makes it an offence to carry a knife in a public place without reasonable excuse, an offence which carries a penalty of up to two years in prison. Generally speaking NZ laws permit you to carry a knife if you have a legitimate reason for doing so. “REASONABLE EXCUSE FOR DOING SO”, Of course you would do well to remember that it is not the carrier of the knife that decides on whether the reason is legitimate or not.
That's not a knife https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W09ghiWskUk
@FrankB Funny you mention the illegality of carrying a knife without good reason. I got back from a hunting trip last weekend and cought the train back from Upper Hutt to Wellington. When I got off at Wellington station sure enough there were police there waiting for me.. why you may ask? Because I didnt realise the barrel of my rifle was sticking out of its holder through a hole that I had never noticed before - it turned out some one had rung them on the train.
1–10 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by [Deleted]
On 19 September 2016
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown