Gear talk

126–150 of 658

Sounds like you've got it sorted. In case anyone is hunting for those NZTM2000 parameters the link below has sone details. https://www.linz.govt.nz/land/maps/topographic-maps/topo50-maps/using-your-gps-unit-topo50-data
Thumbs up
Not recommending it because it was pricey but a few years ago, I bought a Marmot jacket that was thigh length. It was made especially for the NZ market with its longer length. It's still ...
1 2
Thumbs up
The Atom LT is a really nice jacket as well, I wish I could justify having another jacket in this category...
1 2 3
Thumbs up
@bernieq Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my post above. The "aquatabs" that were being talked about has the active ingredient sodium dichloroisocyanurate. This is the slow release Cl- molecule, that I was talking about. Slow release ...
1 2
Thumbs up
What about some front pockets to go with the existing pack if your current gear is too bulky? You could also ditch the car windscreen reflector shield thing as you shouldn't need it in the ...
1 2 3
Thumbs up
cellulitis is always serious and will always require urgent medical intervention. Oral antibiotics probably wouldnt of made much difference except that because you had given antibiotics you would of waited longer before calling the cavalry ...
Thumbs up
Thanks for the tip @Pro-active , if that's able to stop sandflies I've found what I'm looking foor. Cheers!
how much use has it had? synthetic bags have a far more finite life than down bags and that bag is a design that hasnt been sold for a while... so its current temp rating ...
My knowledge was transformed when I started using the app and joined the community. For suggestions: "Nature Guide to the New Zealand Forest" by John Dawson and Rob Lucas. And "Which Native Fern" by Andrew Crowe.
Having been through a few sets of poles over the years I can recommend Macpac's carbon fibre poles. Super light and very strong. I have broken one recently after about 3-4 years of intensive use. ...
Yes, however I always cut my groundsheets about 15 cms shorter than the tent floor in all directions and if it rains hard enough, water WILL run on top of the groundsheet / footprint.
1 2
Thumbs up
I had a Go-Lite which had no frame, being a sac with shoulder straps and a hip belt. The trick was to pack your gear in a way that melded into your back shape or ...
1 2
Thumbs up
Frank (my partner) uses a cut open MSC packliner as our tent footprint. It is the perfect size and is useful for deciding on the position of the tent. It would be more robust than ...
1 2 3
I have the Cascade 75L... great pack.... I don't think I have been on any longer than a three-day trip with it. :-/
1 2 3 4 5
Thumbs up Grinning
If conditions are borderline I wear polypro leggings under my shorts and if I warm I just roll them up. Otherwise they stay down. For an extra top layer to keep off wind and rain, ...
1 2
Thumbs up Confused
But ... orange ?. Gets good reviews, alright. https://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/gear-reviews/footwear/articles/first-test-scarpa-ribelle-lite-od-walking-boot-review-2018 Thanks.
If you can tell me where you think you lost it, I can tell you where it is. Sorry it was really large and very wet, and I only had a small daypack - so ...
Anyone using Spots or inReach in New Zealand should consider using the New Zealand based company TrackMe for hosting as being New Zealand based they offer the best solutions for New Zealand and in an ...
I have the Torlesse 65 (before going to Osprey) and yes Cabbage is correct - the adjustment buckles for the shoulder straps are on the inside. Easy adjustment. No instructions came with my Torlesse either ...
1 2
I don't need ankle support unless I'm mountaineering in plastics and front-pointing with my crampons. Sandals are fine for me most of the time. I rolled my ankle once - about 10 years ago - ...
Use Inreach a lot, for text messaging only. Very handy, but getting satalite connection can take a while, if down in valleys. on tops seems pretty quick I don't rely on Inreach for SOS purpose. carry a ...
I have an MSR pocket rocket version 1. Great little stove. Never used it after buying the jet boil flash, I just love the convenience of this all in one water boiling device. Consider also ...
A big advantage of a single pack liner is that it traps air for river crossings - can be used as a raft to keep you out of the water if you lose your footing ...
A nice thing about tarps is there is no condensation and you get to feel closer to nature. I incorporated a mozzie netting set up but have only bothered using it once. I used those ...
thanks everyone!
126–150 of 658

Search the forums

Gear talk Gear lists, reviews, advice, maintenance.
Topics 658
Posts 8,845
Top contributors
Permanent link