software for GPS

1–10 of 11

I have been a map, compass and altimeter person for a long time but have found there are situations where a GPS (particularily showing your location on a map on screen) is useful so I bought a garmin etrex20. Initially I was using the .kmz files downloaded from topomap but have found that quite a few of these files do not give me a topomap image on the GPS (they mention this as an issue on site and no longer support/produce the .kmz files). Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and buy some software - does anyone have experience with the various topomap softwares you can buy? Would really appreciate some incites from actual users.
Have you had a look here? http://nzopengps.org/ I have a Garmin etouch 35 running the free maps, but they were installed for me when I brought it from http://kiwigps.co.nz/, but I'm pretty sure the maps are from opengps. I think @izogi has written some stuff on here about the free maps and garmin gps's
Hi @stunted. You could buy something, but I'd suggest trying some of the free stuff available first, which IMHO is perfectly adequate, if not at least as good as what you'd get in a commercial product. The LINZ topo data has been helpfully compiled into a Garmin format at http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32317#p32317 It's downloaded as multiple files, and as per the instructions behind that link you'll need to grab 7-7ip (as advised) to combined and open before unzipping and installing. After that, the map should be visible in Garmin's BaseCamp software or similar, and you should be able to push it onto your GPS. It's a few years out of date (late 2013 behind that link) so the official track data shown could be slightly off, but it's not as if contours change significantly in that time.
Stunted, Izogi's link will provide you (after a bit of mucking about) with the whole of NZ on your GPS - the LINZ 1:25,000 maps - free. The maps are better than any commercial offering. As Izogi says, they are the LINZ 2013 release but keep an eye on the link - the intention is to update them - eventually. Add Garmin's Basecamp software (free download) and you have the tools to create tracks and load into the GPS, store recorded track from the GPS and view them on the maps and a great deal more.
many thanks all - will give it a go.
Hi @stunted, I went through this same exercise recently. Like you I've been previously using a map and compass (and an Etrex H primarily as an altimeter) for navigation. Instead of a new mapping GPS I went down the route of a smartphone + topomap app (and a powerbank battery backup). I choose a Sony M4 aqua dual phone as it was about the cheapest smartphone that had a IP67 rating, GPS chip, microSD card slot and relatively modern Android version. There are a number of topomap apps available, I went with Viewranger primarily because I had seen it working on a mate's phone, the app seems to have good online reviews, and you can get the full topo50 mapset. The app is free, there are some free basemaps but the premium mapsets cost. Out tramping, the phone is switched into flight mode (very important, saves battery life, GPS chip not affected), the app started, tracking on and placed in the camera case attached to the shoulder strap. I use the phone camera as well. The phone camera is reasonable in good light, not so good in dim light. Normally get at least a day's tracking with the phone's battery, which gets recharged overnight by the powerbank. The flash/torch is a nice backup to the headlamp around camp/hut but not really useful for night tramping. Off-track, currently I still prefer using map+compass for navigation (habit and keeping skills up), but have done a couple of trips using the phone+app and I understand the appeal. Eventually I could imagine preferring to use the phone+app (easier, known location). My experiences so far is that Viewranger has worked faultlessly, loading the maps onto the microSD card is easy although takes some time (~4GB download and ~$12), the recorded tracks seem pretty accurate. The phone has had some issues with random restarts and sometimes requiring a hard reset. Not sure if the issues are solely related to my particular phone or if they are a model/brand wide issue. Regardless of how well the phone+app works (or not) I still take the map and compass along anyway.
Mr Purples garmin topomap is very nice,free, if you can figure out the install process. Ive used it more or less exclusively for two years, and its been great. Hes done a nice job on the styling to match LINZ colors. http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32317#p32317
I'm a bit of a ludite but think I managed to follow the directions correctly. Looks good at home but will give it a trial in the great outdoors this weekend. Never fear we won't be dependant on it, a friend (who is coming this weekend) uses her phone quite reliably and we'll also have the map and compass but I suspect with Saturdays forcast the GPS might be useful. Now just have to remember to stand on one leg and say "Mr Purple is awesome" every now and again.
I too use a smart phone. It's used to augment my map and compass, so I was happy to use my old iPhone 4S as it was sitting in the drawer. For GPS mapping software, it's running Gaia GPS. Works well and all LINZ maps are available free to download directly onto it. Easy as. With it on Aeroplane mode, the battery lasts around three days with sporadic checking of location and taking a few pictures. I top it up with a battery pack. Works well and didn't cost me anything because I had the phone anyway.
Yup, smartphone for me too. But carry map and compass, always. Luckily I have a pretty good sense of direction so use the phone for the odd location check in bush especially. I do this by turning on Location Services temporarily. Have found it to be pretty accurate (+/- 10m) I have the $20 MapApp NZ SI installed (1.6GB) so it does not need a network to operate. With Airport Mode on, the iPhone will last 3 days+. There is the option to take a battery pack for longer trips. The phone is protected in a Lifeproof shockproof/waterproof case which gives me peace of mind. I used to own a Garmin ten years ago but got tired of its clunky software and extra expense to install topo maps. Thinking the new models were better I checked the latest models out at Map World. Very similar clunky software is still being used. For the Oregon 650, the battery life is a disappointing 16 hours. Nothing there to tempt me. For day trips I often Strava the walk as a record (depletes battery by 50%) but I'm not into plotting routes via waypoints etc so my current system works for me.
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by stunted
On 6 July 2016
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown