Bivouac Sales / Exped Sleeping bags

1–10 of 25

Am thinking of getting an Exped Ultralite 500 bag. http://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/camping-and-tramping/sleeping-bags/exped-ultralite-500-down-sleeping-bag.html My main question, do Bivouac run their pricing / sales strategy like most other retailers where I can expect to see it come up on sale at 30-40% off the price listed here, or is the price shown here ($499) about what they cost? Feel free to post any other bags / sources of similar if you like. Am looking for a lightweight (700 - 850g), mummy style, high lofting 800+ fill down bag. Thanks,
pretty much all chain stores now use inflated retail prices and run regular sales, there can still be some discount on the sales just not as big as it looks... no one else sells exped bags in NZ, they are excellent bags, but the ultralights are a narrow fit, not for big build people or people who dont like narrow bags...
Back in October 2013 I paid $479 sale price for my Exped Lite 700 which was $120 off RRP. I was talked out of getting the 500 because the salesman said it restricted the season range and they were right. Plus I'm a cold sleeper. The 700 is –3 comfort. The 500 is +3 comfort. If your plan is to use the bag in NZ, you would have to be either a warm sleeper or be prepared to wear extra layers in spring and autumn. Bivouac don't seem to have a sale on their sleeping bags all that often and sometimes not all in the range either. You can get a discount if you're a member of the FMC.
Last I checked, Alpine Club membership have an even better discount than FMC. (15% instead of 10%). Is this still the case? Often if you just ask if they can give a discount, and you haven't annoyed them, they'll give one anyway.
Thanks for the info. It's hard now days to know what the real price is with so many retailers inflating prices 40% so they can hold 40% off sales. Not sure how to ask for an FMC discount when buying online, might have to call the 0800 number and ask. A while back someone was advertising on the forum they were importing some high end European (Finland, Poland?) bags at what seemed a good price, but I didn't bookmark the link, can't find the thread any more, can anyone point me at the thread or link? I'm a warm sleeper and outside of the summer I carry a lightweight down jacket I can sleep in as well so a bag about that weight will do me three seasons under a tent fly or mid-winter in a hut. Edited to add: Just found the thread and link to the website I mentioned above: http://tramper.nz/?view=topic&id=8551 http://www.globewalker.com.au/ Did anyone buy anything through her, how did it work out? Looking again, if those prices are AU$, they're probably not a better deal than the Exped bags through Bivouac. Thanks
30% off Exped Sleeping bags is a pretty good sale for Bivouac, they might at times see bigger discounts, but it would be a rather rare event. They have such sales quite regularly, unless you need the bag urgently it would not be a long wait.
If you want a wider fit sleeping bag for only a slight extra weight, consider the Exped Comfort (400, 600, 800) line of bags. I have bought one of these. Also, consider an Exped UL sleeping mat (either DownMat or SynMat) to go under it. But wait until Bivouac have a sale on the Exped products you want, which usually happens twice a year, typically at 25% or 30% off.
the lite range are wider than the ultralite
These shops inflate there prices so they can have massive discounts to sell at recommended retail price then complain when everyone starts buying overseas. Time to stop treating us like a blind cash cow
Bivouac inflates their prices less then the other main players, the likes of Kathmandu, Macpac and Torpedo7 are very blatant with their mark-ups. But the reality of the outdoor retail in New Zealand is that people only buy when gear is on special, and a big special at that. It has been a while since I felt the need to import anything, NZ prices when on special are quite competitive. For example Arc'teryx is a lot cheaper here then in Canada. Or a Black Diamond Front Point Shell Gore-tex pro jacket with 30% off is $531 from Bivouac, the same Jacket from Backcountry.com in the US with 30% off is 610NZD or a Outdoor Research Real Jacket is $450 at Bivouac, and the same Jacket is $406nzd at REI... Throw in 15% GST and Bivouacs jacket is again cheaper. To see a even bigger difference in price compare what the Europeans pay for Exped compared with NZ prices... One examples is that Exped lites 700 bags retail for 450 euros (740NZD) in some German stores.... Makes the Bivouac RRP price of $559.00 seem quite reasonable, and when 30% off is among the cheapest available.
1–10 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Ian_H
On 24 April 2016
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown