Gear talk

376–400 of 654

Hi Nigel If you are interested I'm selling my Cactus 75 litre Foray pack. Details here http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=815096703 Cheers Simon
"I thought night socks were something old ladies wear." hahahahaha thats golden bro I was thinking this, but really didn't want to say it. I get enough hate on here already :D
1 2 3
I asked Macpac via Facebook what the main differences between the new Sololight 1 and Microlight Classic 1 was and they gave a very comprehensive reply (well done Macpac); “After a chat with our design ...
Bit of river sand works really well to get it out, the scouring action of the sand acts like a steelo pad.
OK, thanks for advice both, I'll try the free version first and if fail, continue in research :-)
the floor of that helium bivy bag is 70 denier
1 2
Thumbs up
there was an article a while back about a new director taking over and wanting to start making the companies products more technically focused. their online store has reduced the lineup of jackets and put a ...
Greasy oily products soften leather and stops it breathing. Most manufacturers don't recommend it.. look up their leather care advice. Boots only need flexy parts that can be oiled for suppleness soft. The rest needs to be ...
1 2 3
Ended up getting the Outdoor Research one, took it on a 3 night tramp. Got heavy rain and horizontal, driving snow - didn't end up using the raincoat for heavy rain as was pretty close to ...
1 2 3
Hi Peter, You may be already on your tramp : ) You can hire PLBs from Rollos in Nelson, I always ensure someone in the group is carrying one. You can hire gear from Adventure Gear ...
I make my own stuff (olive oil and beeswax - gently heat it up to melt wax into oil). It`s cheaper and works really well for my leather boots. Plus you can use it on ...
1 2
Kurt Diemberger, one of the two survivors of a storm on K2 in August 1986, was wearing leather boots unlike the others stuck on K2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_K2_disaster Have to say I love my plastics. I've got 3 ...
Actually none of my backpacker links are working. Maybe they want me to get a subscription!
1 2
Thanks for all of the good advice. Does anyone here have any experiences with the Cactus Windhoody?
http://www.furtherfaster.co.nz/ they've parked www.montane.co.nz
The Hubba Hubba NX could be worth a look much more internal volume and dual vestibule means it more livable they have also finally have guy rope points on each side as well as the ...
1 2 3 4
No all DWR is equal and there are differences fluropolymer coating compaired to the water based Acrylic. all the overseas waterproofing agents use water (easier to import) as the carrying agent(Nixwax/Grangers/Storm) and most polythrene as the ...
2 3 4 5 6
yes get the toe bail if you can the new auto crampons suck balls all the old school dudes will tell you get a boot with front bail..
Why I love fly camping...
1 2
I also converted a A-line tent pitching set-up (the classic) into a diagonal 'bomb-proof' set up. This means there is flexibility in being able to pitch the fly so that the windward apex is low ...
I noticed a subject about whether people take a GPS with them when tramping. It included some talk about PLBs. I have spent years solo surfing around the NZ coast with nary a care in ...
@1strider I couldn't have put it better bro, you pretty much covered it. @nzpixie If you guys are climbing rupes (any summit besides Te hue hue any way) I would really recommend either the seracs ...
1 2
my fastfind comes with a neck lanyard, so its possible to have it slung loose under your top layer
1 2 3
I get 2nd hand packs off Trademe. Osprey make some really good kids packs, but an adult daypack should work as well. I also get them 2nd hand leather boots off Trademe, but they are ...
1 2
Hi @bick1. Yes, the GPX data is easy enough to get out. It's the Garmin-provided topo map data which I had a problem with. I'd bought one of these: https://buy.garmin.com/en-NZ/AU/maps/topo-australia-new-zealand/prod83071.html I probably wou...
376–400 of 654

Search the forums

Gear talk Gear lists, reviews, advice, maintenance.
Topics 654
Posts 8,838
Top contributors
Permanent link