Boots: Has anyone got a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX

1–10 of 25

ive got a discontinued model just down from the tibet, minus tthe rand, has a three quarter length shank. robust, supportive boot but narrow, limited flexibility and heavy, need to specify the wide size. i didnt use it much before i went to lighter boots. it;s more for walking off track or on rough tracks with a heavy pack for big trips if you prefer the heavier footwear.
1 deleted post from [Deleted]
yeah they are good quality, bad memory, they do have a rand on them, doesnt look as high as the tibets
thats why i went to lighter boots, i originally ha some lightweight boots that werent supportive, you could twist the soles easily, the Lowa Renegade, the front and arches of my feet ended up suffering. then these ones were too heavy and stiff, so i ended up going to something lighter and supportive, Salomons x-Ultra's and Cosmics
I own Lowa Tibets - fantastic boot, but heavy. If you're solely going to be on-track tramping you really don't need anything as heavily built as the Tibet. You asked about a review - what would you like to know?
1. I've owned them for about 4 years. Family life has meant that in that time I've done about 70 tramping days in them in pretty much all conditions & seasons. 2. Yes, I don't mind paying if I know that I've got something solid under my feet that's going to stand up to any terrain I want to go in. It's all relative of course, if you're going into country that needs such a boot then it's not worth the price because there's plenty of other (cheaper) boots out that will get you where you need to. 3. As I said, nearly 70 tramping days, a lot of which is untracked - the uppers are almost mint still, I always wear gaiters and ALWAYS look after the leather etc. Sole getting pretty low, but to be expected given the usage! 4. Yes very comfortable. My foot is very wide and high, these and Meindl's are about the only boots I've comfortably fitted. The only complaint is the inner sole is rubbish (as they are in most tramping boots!). For me, personally, they're worth the price, in that they're comfortable and they suit the terrain I travel, but they won't be for everyone. Any reason why you seem set on this make/model?
if i was buying Lowa's again i'd go for something like the rangers, the full shanked ones can be pretty stiff, mine have a full length shank that tapers but still pretty stiff and clunky, rangers have a shorter shank leaving flexibility in the toe, makes for better on track walking, they still resist twisting for off track walking.
I use grangers, you have to be careful, some treatments strip natural oils out of the leather and others trap moisture too much which can damage the leather. dont treat the boots until tehy are completely dried out.
The instructions for my Scarpas (designed and made in Italy) say to use Nikwax.
Had there had been no instructions I would have used a boot wax like SnoSeal on them. But Scarpa are specific about what they want you to use. All the better!
If you end up buying Lowa then you need to use their proprietary boot treatments, otherwise you'll void your warranty. The shop you buy from should stock it if they're stocking the boots.
2 deleted posts from [Deleted]
1–10 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by [Deleted]
On 11 May 2016
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown