The campfire

1,126–1,150 of 1,476

That is impressive. Mind you, you would need to walk exceptionally fast through parts of it anyway to avoid being shot at by hillbillies, or worse:)
I'm with "bernieq" on this one re packing both standard & Aarn packs. I have an Aarn Guiding Light pack plus the Sport Balance Pockets (These packs are great once set up properly) The Aarn ...
1 2 3
How about the Kauaeranga Kauri Trail and up to the Pinnacles in Coromandel. Lots of interesting history and not too far from Auckland. You can get all the track details for tramping in NZ on the ...
Would suggest its a good idea to stock up in Christchurch as when I was there in March a lot of stuff wasn't getting out to the smaller shops due to the major distribution centers ...
Gday, the cost is $260. You may have left you run a bit late for this one, but wont hurt to ask. Have a look on www.mountainsafety.org.nz click on Waikato and use the enquiry form ...
Oops, I should've linked to the article for what it was worth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Creek_disaster
I recall getting 2 lots of insurance for when I went climbing in Mongolia. One was from the NZAC but I also shelled out for an overseas one but that was 6 years ago and ...
1 2 3 4 5
Hey all anyone keen for an overnighter on the 14th and 15th of July. Im based in Tokoroa but dont mind driving an hour or so. Just give me a message if your keen
Major Tilman was an amazing man just read what has been written about him. Most important thing though was that he was a nice man just like Max and understood Max's love of just being ...
1 2
MSC has just released a new River Safety Handbook and DVD intended to be used by instructors and teachers. This provides more detail than the MSC Bushcraft manual and is a great resource for Trampers ...
1 2 3
This is a follow up to other threads that have raised the issue of insurance for outdoors activities, and especially the more extreme end of the spectrum. Has anyone had reason to require insurance of ...
Hi Lindsay, can you copy and paste the url, adress thingy at the top of your page here? I think that is how I got the link here. Cheers.
I was thinking about the pilot that disappeared last year but all the arguments are the same. We do have one of the best search and rescue systems and one of the best ACC systems ...
Ha ha.. Don't worry izogi, it's a complimemnt. I appreciate your commentry and willingness to read and interpret legislation and things like that. Your brain obviously works better than mine. Thanks for pointing out that ...
From this morning's Stuff: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/5195214/DOC-denies-funds-for-legal-battles-reduced-as-jobs-cut "DOC denies funds for legal battles reduced as jobs cut "The head of the Conservation Department rejects accu...
and here was me thinking "Tai Poutini Polytechnic"
3 4 5 6 7
Off-topic but Frank bought some Patagonia brand trekking shoes, full of high hopes. They were expensive and the worst ever for rapid wear and tear. Just about immediate.
Good point, geeves. Never thought of that! I just poked my head in long enough to smell it and ascertain there was no room at the inn (just for politeness's sake).
2 3 4 5 6
Just back from this conference. It was a very worthwhile experience to hear from some of the very capable people who advocate for the environment and our recreation. I have come back with a mixture of ...
At least macpac has the same number of staff year round. Katmandu can run there largest stores on 2 people except at sale time when theres 20
Yes always good to compare to metservice and take into account climates specific to regions - just out of interest compared the metservice mountain forecast for Tongariro for this Sunday: Sunday 12 June Issued at: 10:37am ...
I see heaps of wasps in both Nelson lakes and Richmond range. I hate the buggers and normally block in the nests when I find one.
Hey all I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a a 3-5 day Tramp anywere between Tauranga and Marton that they would recommend. I have been told to take a week off work ...
This link provides a fairly comprehensive discussion on water treatment. It's slanted for the Australian environment but I think it will answer most of your questions. http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Water.htm#Treatment Be aware that Au...
Yes, be prepared for non touristically inclined tracks to be neglected from here on. We have lost our patron saint of tramping and are now on our own. We all need to do our little ...
1,126–1,150 of 1,476

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,476
Posts 20,718
Top contributors
Permanent link