RE: IN THE NEWS

pmcke you are
51 comments
41–50 of 51

See a new hut between Timaru Creek Hut and Lake Hawea is out for tender, and a new track to go with it. Will save the long slog along the road on east the shore of Lake Hawea to the Hawea township - and give some good views out over the lake too. --- "The site of the new Pakitahi Hut, near Wanaka, is located on Crown-owned leasehold land at Lake Hawea Station. The Site sits above Lake Hawea at approximately 1280m above mean sea level on the eastern side of the ridge between Breast Peak (1456m) and Breast Hill (1578). The hut will offer an overnight stay for trampers traversing a high level track linking Timaru Creek with the southeast corner of Lake Hawea. This also forms part of the Te Araroa National Trail that is scheduled for opening in December 2010."
Great to see that link to save a tiresome road bash.
Definitely a breach of hut etiquette http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5127649/Cops-choppered-in-to-hut-for-threatened-kids
Powell hut attracts all sorts. Last time I was there 2 groups of younger people had gone up for excessive consumption a small family group was there Our club was there so it was a full hut. One group already had a fair stack of empties at Mountain house and were quite loud by the time they got there The other group had a play in the snow before consuming The rest of us just had tea had a yarn and went to bed. To be fair to the 2 groups of drinkers they did ask if we minded then drinking up a storm and told us to tell them if it was too much. They were all paralytic by 10 so everyone got an early night. They also cleaned up thoroughly in the morning leaving no evidence of the previous night. The family group though that should of been the ideal hut mates were slobs. It takes all sorts but as long as everyone respects everyone else there should be no trouble. Excessive drinking is not really a good thing to do but it doesn't automatically mean trouble.
Yes. Over-intoxicated people can be annoying, but from the description it sounds as if that guy (and his partner) probably already had a particular problem that the alcohol brought out of him. The headline was about 'threatened kids', but reading into it it sounds as if his partner was in the most danger, perhaps only because she might have had more trouble leaving than the school group. It was fortunate that leaving was an option for them, and that they were in a place with cellphone reception.
What astonishes me is why anyone would want to carry enough grog to get pissed on, all the way up to Powell Hut.
I agree, but having said that I do like a wee dram at the end of a days tramping, so usually carry a a small hip flask as a treat to myself for the effort......but certainly not with the intention of getting rat arsed as this guy obviously did....!
I agree with Norm,i like to take a bit of whisky with me but never enough to get hammered in one go.I like to have a little bit each night.
The hut we went to on Sat night was thick with the fug of marijuana. Because it was full, we carried on up the valley and spent a very pleasant evening around a fire, camping out under a beech tree. I don't mind dope but sometimes they get paranoid with it!
Shouldnt be any smoking inside the hut. Not tobacco or whatever else. A lot of peoples employment these days has drug testing clauses and staying in a hut where people are smoking that stuff will result in a fail and quite possibly a look for a new job. I wouldnt be dobbing them in unless there was another good reason as well but I consider I have a pretty good reason to ask them to take it outside whatever the weather
41–50 of 51

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by lgwaddel
On 2 March 2010
Replies 50
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown