The campfire

1,001–1,025 of 1,476

Im thinking about taking a hike from the stratford plateau to somewhere. Any one know any cool walks? One that is sort of hard but not like a overnight tramp.
Woudnt have believed it unless i had seen it with my own "mince pies".......a sign at the Holdsworth road end advising park users not to follow the pink markers! The Mt Bruce track from SH2 to ...
1 2
I have a macpac macrolight . I would recommend it . It is light, 2.2kg with all the bells and whistles . It has stood up to strong wind, and torrential rain on many occasions, ...
The 2 examples cited above sound pretty good to me (chook, fish floss). Actually the fish floss sounds like a great, light proteinaceous idea. One unusual thing I saw was an Italian adding parmesan to ...
1 2 3
Hi folks Thanks for the comments on this. DOC is looking to see where there may be opportunity to provide new options - particularly for enhancing tracks and sites that may attract more participants to outdoor ...
I was just recalling my own visit to Olivine hut pmcke, and coming up with the same excuse for not having visited the falls ...
Maybe others have seen this. It looks to be 5 years old but someone at the University of Canterbury has completed a Masters' thesis considering the impact of trampling on alpine vegetation, both in areas ...
Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing.
Obviously there's a million CD's worth of bushwacker's yarns, however my contribution can be found at... http://soundcloud.com/john-saunders/southern-crossing
The second link is to Waitengaue Hut. The Waikato Tramping Club has the following link. Several of our members have some great stories from days spent at this hut. http://wtc.org.nz/content.asp?id=about
Thanks alot for the input, folks! I'm from the U.S. and did some amateur tramping on the South Island last November. I tried to make it to Welcome Flat in a day, starting late (noonish), ...
Frank and I once came across a couple of young fellas who'd wisely refrained from crossing the Otehake, camped overnight and called up a helicopter. We noticed them standing on the bank watching us cross ...
1 2 3 4 5
http://doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/great-walks/check-flight-availability/ you see there is a low key link now on DOC's great wlks site to direct people to book flights to the walks through air new zealsnd
1 2
Yup, the Tararuas is something else. Just encountered DoC dudes doing hut maintenance in Hamilton Hut and building a bridge. Very impressed at the work ethic, still at it at dusk in the chilly evening ...
1 2
Indeed.
1 2 3 4
The linked Herald article that started this thread has been annoying me for ages, with Sergeant Lindsay Turner's claim that Police have "the power to bill people" for cost recovery over SAR operations. So I asked ...
1 2
His mum was/is in our tramping club. Very proud of the connection.
1 2
i posted the above on the wrong thread before, sorry about that, hope it makes more sense now..
1 2 3
All the best, gunner28. Hope you can confirm the location of the Rock Biv with a GPS and I'll fine tune the location on my jpg.
1 2
BTW, The advantage of this is that you don't need to climb any higher than the altitude of Ketetahi Hut to get there so hopefully snow won't get in the way.
as one of the shuttle operators said on tv, people turn up hell bent on doing the track unprepared and nothing the operators can say will disuade them from going. marketers will markeet ice to the ...
1 2 3
http://www.sportzhub.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14529&Itemid=1
Excellent, thanks for that. Now I just gotta wait for the weather to behave!
why the routeburn? why not some other walks rather than clutter it up with more people , destroying the experience for those on the track, putting more people on alpine tracks is asking for trouble,,,, ...
DoC says all 3 Fiordland Great Walks are open over Winter, but - •In winter many bridges are removed to avoid damage; the rivers are large, swift and icy cold. •Avalanches are common and dangerous. They ...
1 2
1,001–1,025 of 1,476

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,476
Posts 20,718
Top contributors
Permanent link