The campfire

1,251–1,275 of 1,486

Hi there Helengerald. Maybe I can help you a little. My partner and I have a campervan with which we occasionally go tramping. Earlier this year we did a 3000km tour of the South Island ...
Just got back from doing the Tablelands circuit in Kahurangi NP.Great weather,heaps of snow though- too deep to go down to Ellis Basin.Couple of small avalanches there and in the vicinity of Mt Arthur.The place ...
1 2
Has anyone been to top hut? in the raukapuka area up the south ashburton river im after some info on what its like and maybe some pictures if anyones got any? Also while at boundary ...
It's amazing how some plants in the bush can grow chocolate. How come only those less than 10 years in age can find it?
6 7 8 9 10
EveryTrail is also pretty good if you want analysis of GPX files. It'll plot them on maps, show elevation/speed profiles, let you connect the trip sequence with photos/videos (either uploaded or pulled from services like ...
Thanks for the info, pmcke. It sounds like the kind of thing that some of the bigger recreation organisations like FMC and the Alpine Club may be able to attach their names to and influence ...
My dad wouldn't take me on tramps though he took my 3 older brothers. Before the boys were big enough he took my 2 sisters aged 6 and 7 from Doubtful Sound to Dusky Sound. ...
Hi again Yarmoss! wow! that does sound great! I'm definitely very keen. Just not sure if I'll be able to, yet. Might be that I'll be leaving home for holidays.. But I should know my ...
1 2
Hi, we are looking at doing a trip upto Nardoo Hut, near the Matakitaki Valley, Murchison this summer. Just wondering if anyone has any advise, tips about this trip and how long it took to ...
http://www.doc.govt.nz/about-doc/news/issues/docs-canterbury-earthquake-response/
No such thing as the perfect boot; but as a Meindl man myself since they were first available here in NZ, it would it take a lot to change my loyalty. I've come to think that ...
1 2
That's plenty of food. I'd suggest getting your pack as light as you're comfortable because it'll make the days easier and more enjoyable. Seeing as you've paid out for great walks hut tickets, why not get ...
Mystery Lake is a lovely spot. I'd like to go back there sometime.
1 2
Hey All Well I am advertising for the lucky person who finds them two hackey sacks. Normally when Iḿ out tramping we take a hackey sack with us we muck around in many places with it ...
I have done the alpine route in october it was good a time because it was not to hot.I live close by and walk to the top of the richmond hills 4 times a week ...
So i was looking at a map and Google earth of a area i like to explore near mt Harper and lake Emma and there's a stream down there called nabob stream and there's a ...
It said on the 1984 map that it was a nzfs one but am not 100 percent sure when it was removed though which is a shame, I am just interested as to where it ...
Apparently a "silent majority" support the plans. I wonder how he arrived at that? "Oh, the ones all the polls missed out on. They are there, it's just their are unwilling to have their voice ...
1 2
In 2010 the ATC ran three 90 minute training evenings for overnight trip leaders. First night we went over the club document which advises leaders what to do. Second night we went over prvoius trips ...
I used to get pressure blisters around my toes but eventually figured out that whenever I got a new pair of inner socks I didn't have the problem for a little while.... Now I replace ...
1 2
Thanks for that, Matt. Lovely profile pic.
Flats on the opposite bank to Totora (upstream from Sayer Hut) were completely ripped up this weekend. Fresh-as, overturned grass still green underneath.
You have a similar "pest" in Canada,they're called Blackflies? They're okay on sunny, breezy days. But become very active on overcast days with a hint of rain in the air. They also don't like the cold ...
Keep the rifle handy on the way in plenty of deer on the road leave the rifle behind and take a rod the mohaka is full of very big trout. With all the rain there ...
Hello Olivier and welcome. If you are planning to visit the South Island in early December before the North Island then bring some good wet weather clothing with you. The last few years have had quite ...
1,251–1,275 of 1,486

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,486
Posts 20,731
Top contributors
Permanent link