RE: IN THE NEWS

pmcke you are
51 comments
21–30 of 51

Docs have to make money or there wont be any thing done on the tracks.I can understand docs takeing people off the tracks IE keeping all the walkers happy and keeping NZ tramping a good name.As i understand it nobody was at real risk just to many people in the huts. What would have happend if i had got stranded for several days on the Hollyford would i have been flown out i dont think so.I think you have to be more prepared when you walk the back country tracks IE:extra food,days up your sleave and a book to read i always take a book and a PLB Lindsay
A new DOC hut and camping facility is under construction at Crosbies Settlement on the main Coromandel range, about 12km north east of Thames. http://doc.govt.nz/about-doc/news/media-releases/new-hut-for-coromandel/
Does anyone know what track accesses the new hut or a waypoint for it? Alan
Alan, can be access from Te Puru Creek Road, then via Te Puru Track or Waiomu Road, follows Waiomu Stream for a bit then climbs ridge to 690mtrs where it meets up with Te Puru Track. Co-ordinates of settlement approx 2736260E,6460545N NZMG. Will email further detail. If you are considering venturing there wouldn't mind having a look myself. Frank
This may be of interest to those in the area News Release 29 April 2010 DOC Track Update – Wakatipu Area The continuing heavy rain has made a full assessment of tracks and structures in areas of Mount Aspiring National Park difficult. Field inspections have been carried out on some tracks; others will be checked in the next few days. It is strongly recommended that trampers do not enter the area unless they have contacted the Queenstown Regional Visitor Centre for up to date conditions. See below for current status of specific tracks: Routeburn Track: The Great Walks season has now finished and the Routeburn Track is now managed as a Back Country Track. Huts are not serviced and generally do not have gas, coal or supplied firewood. DOC rangers/hut wardens are generally not in the area. Backcountry trampers must be very experienced, well equipped and fully self sufficient. Alpine and route finding skills are essential in most cases. Due to the severe storm activity in the area, the Routeburn Track has experienced damage and continuing rain has meant that a full assessment of the track has not yet been possible. The track has not sustained any significant damage between the Routeburn Shelter and Routeburn Flats Hut. However, a 10m span bridge over a creek between the Routeburn Flats Hut and the Routeburn Falls Hut has been completely destroyed. A ‘wet foot’ crossing of this creek is possible in fine weather. It should not be attempted in heavy rain or high water flows. It is unlikely that this bridge will be replaced for at least 2 to 3 months. There has also been a large slip between Howden Hut & the Divide. This section of the track is not recommended until the rain eases and an assessment of the slip is completed. Rees/Dart Track: A ground inspection of this track has not yet been possible. All rivers, streams and water courses in the area will be at very high levels and damage to the track and structures is possible. This track is not recommended until a full damage assessment is complete Greenstone /Caples Track: Recent severe storm activity has resulted in windfalls and minor damage to the track. A washout approximately 3km north of the Greenstone hut can be bypassed on a scree slope, but caution is required. Conditions are boggy around the McKellar Hut and Lake McKellar. Exiting the Greenstone or Caples tracks via the Divide is not currently recommended due to the track damage in that area. For more information and updates please contact: Andrew Evans Queenstown Regional Visitor Centre Manager Department of Conservation Wakatipu Area Office Queenstown Telephone Visitor Centre 03-442-7935 Direct dial 03-441-8528
Hi I attended the Peninsula Tramping Club meeting on Tuesday with our minister of Conservation, Kate Wilkinson. It was very enlightening to hear her quotes on DoC expenditure in particular national parks e.g. $9 million p.a. for Fiordland National Park, which is estimated to produce $230 million p.a. Sounds as though the conservation estate is a great little earner for us!
Ministers of Conservation have a pretty hard road in a National Cabinet. I wonder how good she is of convincing her fellow ministers.
Be interesting to see the estimated figures for the other parks while they would have to be sustantially lower thier potential must be just as great without mining do you think John Key had a second look at the long term financial forcast for Te Urewera.
Kate Wilkinson told us the figures for some of the others. It sounded as though they were similar proportions of investment to income gained. I only could remember the Fiordland NP stats. I don't get the impression she tries to convince her fellows. Rather, she does as she is directed by treasury which is the standard practice for DoC ministers.
I see DoC have raised their fees 'to cover maintenance costs'. Great Walks huts up by $5 a night, but still free for under 18's. Annual hut passes up from $90 - $120. Six month pass up $60 - $90
21–30 of 51

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by lgwaddel
On 2 March 2010
Replies 50
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown