Tracks, routes, and huts

451–475 of 1,237

@ian: never made it out the door. Woke up saturday feeling crook as the proverbial dog. Told myself to toughen up and get on with it but effort required to carry pack to the door ...
awesome trip... as a friend once said exiting a Kaweka hut "beam me up scotty, theres no intelligent life in there" :) laughs nervously and changes the subject...
Added 3 picture of the progress of clearing the Blue Bluff slip on the Otaki Gorge road. Glorious day up there, pity I had to return to Wellington.
4 5 6 7 8
Thanks for the info. In the end I went over Sugarloaf Pass and up to Theatre Flat for the night, camped in the trees near the swing that Yarmoss mentions. Couldn't camp under overhanging rocks ...
1 2
Amazing @Ian_H
1 2
Thinking of parking at sharplin falls & just heading to the summit & back in a day, avoiding the loop. Will be bring ice axe & crampons as well :)
@gazcan, apologies for not acknowledging your quote. @izogi, thanks for putting me right on that. @madpom, good to know us lot on foot or bike are not the target. Note DOC suggest people can contact one ...
We will definitely be taking ice axe and crampons, I'd rather carry them the whole way than have to turn back because we didn't have them. We are aiming to walk it in three days ...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/647653902053628/
Thumbs up to you both.
1 2
it was a party of 22, a school party, they would have varied greatly in how fast individuals could go and would have had to go at the slowest persons pace
1 2
this is another thread
1 2
Can't wait to walk it!
3 4 5 6 7
The alert level for Mt Ruapehu has been raised a notch as the volcano continues to show signs of life and climbers have been warned to stay clear of its summit. http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/danger-level-rises-at-mt-ruapehu-2016051115#axzz48J...
@madpom. Yeah, somebody has kindly given me the land owners name & contact details. I've called & left a message. I was asking for permission just in case the rain that flooded Porirua decided to ...
@madpom thats just my extrapolation of exemption "Servicing concessionaire infrastructure" all the food and supplies have to get helicoptered to and the sewerage removed from the guided huts.
1 2
We did the circuit - Lake Tennyson - Paske Saddle - down Paske Valley to Rainbow River - up the Rainbow and turn left into South Rainbow - very rocky valley up to un-named pass ...
1 2 3 4
Gillespie Pass is very steep on both sides and the Siberia side of it retains snow well into January. In August it will be absolutely covered from valley floor of the Young right over into ...
what a lot of people don't realise is that the forest service huts werent just put there for hunters. the reason so many were built was because tramping and mountaineering was seen by the govt ...
1 2
Know what you nean Hugh. longitudanal Seaward kaikoura traverse, begley / sabine / clarence loop, leatham / branch, mt owen, arthur range traverse, ... all added to the wishlist during just my last tramp. Plus ...
1 2 3 4
Lets see Built without proper drainage or connection to a suitable sewage system Marine climate but no stainless steel fixings No engineers report on foundations and the lack of suitably preserved timber No insulation No plumbers or electric...
Interesting quote from that Stuff newspaper report:- "Support also came in from the likes of Federated Mountain Clubs, Pupu Hydro Society and Tasman District Council, the latter still managing to charge a $600 rip-off permit fee ...
facebook is currently the best way to keep up-to-date with many of the projects that people are doing for recreation, on our conservation lands. :-)
1 2 3
The Whakanui tracks (east,west) to Orongorongo river in the Rimutakas are a 10min walk from the Route 80/170 Wainui South bus terminus. From the Orongorongo river end of the Whakanui track easy access to the ...
Well, that might be the answer. There was no pad edging around the outcrop - the rock met the water and continued below the surface - no soil/bank at all (and no ledge below the surface ...
1 2
451–475 of 1,237

Search the forums

Tracks, routes, and huts Ideas, plans, trip reports.
Topics 1,237
Posts 10,095
Top contributors
Permanent link