Tracks, routes, and huts

426–450 of 1,237

Tongariro summit by the tourist route is an easy walk up - no mountaineering experience required, but as stated above you should have sharps and know how to use them.
Thanks - great information..
Hello all, I'm keen on a single day hike up to where there might be snow this weekend (I know Sunrise hut and Rangiwahia hut well). I'd appreciate anyone in the know if they could point me ...
When I did it, I saw six others, all doing the TA. But had the huts to myself. I did a shorter loop, finishing and starting at the Goulter carpark.
1 2
RIP :( Without sounding insensitive I think it's better to go out doing something you love than dribbling out your years in a rest home with failing health, or losing your marbles. Age 67 is a bit ...
1 2 3
Hi I've been eyeing up a route from the Matiri River Track to the Fyfe River track - has anyone been this way before? There's an unnamed lake north of McConchies Hut with peaks to the east ...
Sounds like a wonderful few weeks @Aedin
1 2
Hey guys, any idea if your able to walk directly from hope arm hut to the monument track, I have read you may be able to go around the beach and attempt to cross a ...
snow should be not too hard, so should get to Powell ok. and up to the top Holdsworth. trip to jumbo and out is doable, weather permitting.
Kia Ora if you are planning to walk the Te Araroa Trail this year please get in touch, as we would love to hear from you, Regards The Team @ RedMoose
Has anybody got any information about Mangapa Hut in Puketi/ Omahuta Forest in Northland. DOC tell me it is a biodiversity hut. It is not marked on any 'on-line' topomaps that I have looked at. ...
A few people mentioned an old track in the Egmont Pouakai area that links Mangorei Track through to Maude track. Seemed like a snowy weekend kind of trip. I wouldnt really go as far as calling ...
I went in today the day after the road reopened. Word had spread as there were at least 30 cars in there by lunchtime. Pic posted on this site
Yea, my wife reacted a bit like that when she read it too.
Thunderbolt route is described here (read the visitors book too) https://tramper.nz/6073/waipakihi-thunderbolt-loop/ GPX https://tramper.nz/6057/waipakihi-thunderbolt-loop/ Urchin-Umukarikari https://tramper.nz/3246/urchin-umukarikari-loo...
1 2 3
Benwah - Did you end up going? Will have a few days while in NZ in a couple of weeks and wondering about conditions in case my plans for TNP don't pan out.
Hi Mount Somers is good as an overnighter (Woolshed Creek or Pinnacles Huts). Its about 90 mins from Christchurch. The track to Woodshed Creek will give you the best views over classing NZ high country (Pinnacles ...
1 2
Abel Tasman or Heaphy are your best options. Abel Tasman provides settled weather and the coastal track is at low elevations. The Heaphy is a riskier option because it has higher elevation but it doesn't ...
Cheers, That fits with what I've managed to dig up on it. I am possibly considering 1000 acre campground as an alternative stopping point for a night instead, but that mucks about with the route ...
We had an early season crack at Ngauruhoe a few weeks back - started well, but as soon as the sun hit the upper slopes we got bombarded by rockfall. Turned back and went and ...
1 2
Thanks hutchk, will report back but not going till september
That bridge was in a spectacular spot but agree it is redundant now that the Maropea is bridged by Iron Bark Hut. I have used it a few times getting from Mokai Patea to Maropea ...
There are likely a few sink holes (tomos) to keep an eye out for but I don't see any reason it couldn't be done.
And south easterlies. Recall tussock-clinging all the way up Bridge from the main range with the wind inexplicably trying to hurl me down into Penn Crk. Must be less common though because there always seem ...
1 2
Thanks, would give it a read. Have also seen a few photos taken on the Thomas Range, and quite a few on the Mataketake .
426–450 of 1,237

Search the forums

Tracks, routes, and huts Ideas, plans, trip reports.
Topics 1,237
Posts 10,095
Top contributors
Permanent link