Tracks, routes, and huts

476–500 of 1,237

Has anyone here traversed the Eastern part of the Arthur Range ie Flora to Takaka Hill?
Remember a choice of life and death is a valid defence. Having your way impeded to much needed shelter qualifies doesnt it
1 2
Thanks @geoffnet and @DavidM , it's hard judging difficulty and danger from afar. Initially I checked out some photos on Instagram with the tag #gillespiepasscircuit and one group had done the whole circuit in a ...
1 2 3
And tight hip flexors / weak glutes. As a long time tramper i was really surprised about how limited my hip range of motion actually was. Remember that your hips are the major engine of ...
7 8 9 10 11
Thanks waynowski.
1 2
Thank you for the suggestions! Much appreciated. I love this part of planning a trip - the anticipation and pouring over maps for routes and ideas! I'm thinking the Waipakihi hut option with Thunderbolt and Motutere, ...
yup thats what you get when you have a destination full of people who also freedom camp.... a lot of them will go to the toilet anywhere, they see the nz parks as one big ...
1 2
It's even tougher with otaki forks access closed. Look for weather where it's a southerly turning to a northerly. Those gaps are usually perfect for the southern. I like to start at otaki forks and get ...
Great walks r being advertised all over the place in n.a.. they are booking out further in advance.
@Syncop8r: Thanks for that. I see Hitler was played by a Swiss actor, Ganz and his acting in the film was highly acclaimed.
1 2 3 4
If anyone wants an eBook variation of Pete McDonald's Foot-Tracks in New Zealand book which @PhilipW referenced at http://homepages.vodafone.co.nz/~pete.mcd/ft/ft.htm , then let me know. The one I've made isn't perfect with formatting, but I di...
9 10 11 12 13
By and large April is a great time to be tramping here. It's too soon for much snow and the weather patterns are as benign as they ever get. You will continue to see frontal systems ...
@ddcura I second Madpoms suggestions. There are alot of nice tramps out the back of Ohau. Mueller Hut will still have snow around it and pockets along the ridge but nothing extreme unless its been a ...
Hi guys, We are looking at heading into the Upper Turnball river before winter sets in and would love to gain any information about travelling the upper valley, if there is a good route to ...
Hi izogi, No formal plan for the 2018 review at this stage. Yes, the matter of public access is dear to hearts of many for a range of reasons. Unfortunately, we don't have the time to follow ...
1 2
Cheers, didn't realise it was marked from there :)
it's best to assume that, you can still get some light if the moon is obscured by cloud but its highly variable on how much cloud there is.
At this point, I am closing the thread. There is a separate thread running about public access in general. Have at it over there! Thanks again Ainslie for signing up to get your point across and ...
2 3 4 5 6
There's also the Kiwi Burn and Mavora Lakes area, all low level stuff, or you could go into the Takatimus from Princhester hut. Green Lake hut would be doable as well, probably a bit of ...
"Public consultations are set to go ahead on the now $36 million buy-in to the Ruataniwha Water Storage Scheme. After some fiery calls across the council chamber - from both the councillors and members of the ...
DOC warn, use it, proove it, or loose it https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/warning-kiwi-trampers-prove-youre-using-high-country-huts-risk-losing-them-good
That route from Barrosa and out down the Stour River leaves you with quite a long walk back to your car. An alternative is to head on along the tops passing Pts 1355 and 1321, then ...
something like that, find out when booking opens for the season from DOC, off the top of my head could be around june, and be ready to book on that day
INtrepid NZ tararua episode. goes over the broken axe pinnacles https://www.tvnz.co.nz/ondemand/intrepid-nz/sutch-the-fruitless-searchnull
Best to go thru Gloriavale and Heaphy Road then you will not have to ford the Haupiri if it's up when you come out! Both ways work. Gloriavale Community have never refused me tramping access. ...
476–500 of 1,237

Search the forums

Tracks, routes, and huts Ideas, plans, trip reports.
Topics 1,237
Posts 10,095
Top contributors
Permanent link