What's your favourite tracks in your area?

Hi guys! I'm hoping to plan around 3-4 weeks in Jan/Feb to travel Akl-Dun and want to hit up a bunch of tracks. Going to keep it relatively casual so Great Walks don't really appeal because a. booking system b. overcrowded as all hell c. would rather have a slightly more interesting walk Looking mainly for 2-3 day tracks, preferably scenic bc I always take my camera out haha. Don't really want to go off-track/bushwhacking because I don't trust my navigational skills but anything up to there is likely fair game, and would prefer a hut as trying to get away with not buying a lightweight tent + just borrowing a mates larger tent for camping on the side of the road. Will obviously be doing my own research just thought if anyone had any good recs in their area I would love to hear them :) [to give context: just finished uni, start work in feb, my parents have let me borrow my old fuel efficient car since my brother bought a new one and I want to take advantage!]
13 comments
11–13 of 13

Thousand Acre Plateau is certainly worth visiting, might even have the entire place to yourself. Also the Richmond Alpine Route is pretty stunning, but logistically it can be a bit tricky... Might take longer then three days based on what tracks you take.
The alpine route has big ups and downs and you wouldn't have to worry about getting a bunk most of the time. Everytime I've been there we've never seen anyone else pretty much.
When I did it, I saw six others, all doing the TA. But had the huts to myself. I did a shorter loop, finishing and starting at the Goulter carpark.
11–13 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Teri-
On 21 August 2016
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown