Tramper's close call near Alpha hut, Tararuas

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/82938455/perilous-helicopter-rescue-in-subzero-temperatures I hope this person is ok. The article says he was stuck at Hell's Gate (a steep pass at approx. 1000m altitude), just below Alpha Hut on the Southern Crossing of the Tararuas for 2 days. Maybe he slipped on that section and couldn't move far? Or he wasn't sure of where he was because of the snow? It's hard to know. I have been thinking of doing winter trips in the Tararuas, but it's hard to know how much snow is up on the mountain tops at any one time or how dangerous it will be. The past weekend though has been a particularly bad southerly with snow throughout the south island and hawkes bay. It would be handy if there was a webcam or something so you could see how much snow was on the main range. It sounds like a really close call for this person, and I think it's easier to be caught out by a bad storm than most people think, and to be underprepared, as I've found in summer tramps when it's started snowing in the mountains and we weren't prepared with gloves and full winter gear.
26 comments
21–26 of 26

RIP. I'm very sorry to hear it.
enjoyed Mantis's posts, he got about a bit in places I go. A real tragedy alright
Well how strange. I'd been missing my kiwi hills especially all week, and for no particular reason I'd picked mantis's recent picture of Field Hut in the snow as the screen background for my work PC. Working in the factory more than several people commented on it. I met him once or twice over the years and he was one of those classic trampers you'd trust to lead you anywhere. Well now he's drying out his boots for the last time. Respect and kind regards to all who loved him and knew him well.
Sad news. I guess he was in his 70's so perhaps it was health related? Enjoyed Mantis's posts. I still remember his description of crossing from the Godley to the Perth via a seldom used saddle and the Bettison Route in 69/70 when there were hundreds of quiet game animals around. RIP man of the hills!
So sorry to hear. Thoughts are with his family.
RIP :( Without sounding insensitive I think it's better to go out doing something you love than dribbling out your years in a rest home with failing health, or losing your marbles. Age 67 is a bit too soon though!
21–26 of 26

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by savvy89
On 8 August 2016
Replies 25
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown