South Island Winter recommendations for a family

Hi All, I'm a complete newbie - not just to the site, but to the country - so local advice would be really welcome. Apologies in advance for the long post. We're an Irish family of 5 - our kids are aged 14, 12 and 10. We're in Auckland for a few months for work, and are taking hols on the South Island for the first two weeks of August. We're hikers, it's what we always do for our three week annual family holidays. We go the Italian Alps or Dolomites or Pyrenees every year, but always in summer. We (the parents) have decent Alpine experience and even did an Alpine mountaineering course in Switzerland many years ago. My husband climbs to AD standard, I'm more of a F/PD- type (I don't know if that grading means anything here). My husband has done a bit of Scottish winter climbing, but I haven't. The kids are fit and strong, and our eldest has done a little bit of glacier work on a rope with crampons, but nothing serious. Anyway, we're wondering what's safe for us to do here. We left our ropes, ice axes and crampons back in Dublin. We're not really into strolling along a valley floor (although of course we'll do that if there's no safe alternative). So a couple of questions: (1) Any suggestions for good winter day hikes that would suit us? (2) We'd love to do a hike to a hut that we could stay overnight in as the kids love that - we were thinking of the Kepler track to the Luxmore hut and back to avoid avalanche prone sections. Do we need axes and crampons for that section? General advice also welcome - thanks!! Aedin.
12 comments
11–12 of 12

Thanks a lot for all the info - and those photos are mouthwatering. Anything particularly worth doing within a day's drive of Christchurch? We're flying from there, so have to make our way back in that direction at the end. From those weather discussions, maybe it'll turn out that we came to do a winter NZ tramping holiday in the right year....
Hi Mount Somers is good as an overnighter (Woolshed Creek or Pinnacles Huts). Its about 90 mins from Christchurch. The track to Woodshed Creek will give you the best views over classing NZ high country (Pinnacles is more river sidling). Both are serviced huts. Or head up towards Arthurs Pass and go up to Bealy Spur Hut. Fantastic views of the Waimakariri river and the Southern Alps from the trig point 30 mins on from the hut. The hut is very basic and rustic. There is firewood (at least there was in the summer) but take warm clothes and sleeping bags as the hut is cold. Good chance of seeing Keas. Once again about 90 mins from Christchurch.
11–12 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Aedin
On 23 June 2016
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown