Tracks, routes, and huts

301–325 of 1,237

Excellent. Thanks for your ideas. I'll put this on the backlog.
DOC set their standards on the routeburn and great walks in summer for people who have a low level of mountaincraft skill, so they get the helicopter in to cater for those people.. i went to ...
We have the branch topic option to avoid a thread endlessly going off topic. It's confusing when there is a heading for one topic and a whole page ends up about something different. X Comes a ...
Note that the hut pass is not valid for car accessible campsites either. But it is at car accessible campsites around huts (eg. Trilobite Hut in Kahurangi). And yeah the Auckland council camping pass is pretty ...
Kauaeranga Valley Road closed past the Visitor Centre. This road will remain closed past the Visitor Centre until Thursday 19 October. This is to allow extensive repairs and river works to be carried out. Bookings for the ...
@Pro-active Yes, big change from the conditions Yarmoss reported from up by Lake Harris last weekend, perhaps a metre and a half of storm slab added up high in the last couple of days, still snowing ...
1 2
The intent is what matters. Taking a photo then some time later selling it is no different to giving that photo to someone else who sells it. I dont know if wilderness mag has a concession ...
the interesting thing is you cant make money from video shot in national parks without their approval, and possibly a commission to them... not sure about photos....
6 7 8 9 10
I've left cars at Poad Rd in the past with no issues. Often there are a large number of vehicles parked there. There is an inhabited house next to the car park so maybe this ...
https://www.gets.govt.nz/DOC/ExternalTenderDetails.htm?id=18969671
that looks very nice on the Lockett tops . thanks for the pic. Definately great options up that way.I talked to Doc today and the guy said that all the huts and most campsites were ...
Brilliant! The best thing about this is you have someone with extensive outdoor experience building a practical low cost well designed shelter installed on private land. Avoids the tut-tut brigade! Anyone with a brain, the necessary skills and ...
its eco tourism on the conservation estate the dep of conservation are putting a large amount of their limited resources into eco tourism now at the expense of conservation because the current govt have ordered it.
The track to Lake Kaurapataka on the west coast, just downstream from Otira has some great red beech trees. Nowadays we hear and sometimes see kaka in there too.
1 2
Leslie-Karamea has heaps of bird life. Lots of blue duck through the river, weka everywhere, kereru, kaka (we didn't see them but others did), kea (ditto), and kiwi (heard, not seen), plus robins, tomtits, bellbirds, ...
There was 30cm ish at Pinnacles Hut after the last snowfall a couple of weeks ago but NW in the last few days has caused quite a thaw.I`d be happy to go between Pinnacles Hut ...
Pararaha valley from Karekare is an easy 1.5 to 2 hr walk with young kids. Great spot to camp and explore.
1 2
Thanks for the comments Geoff. Alan
Even Cattle Ridge has suffered. The chimney for the open fire was blown off, and down the hill, not long after the hut was built
1 2
Ha. Funny. Just when I pull out, say 'that's all we're going to achieve here', and go home: and the forecast of rain through till Thursday becomes 'mostly fine'
1 2
Would definitely second going to Mungo if you have the time to spare. Well worth the visit especially if you don't think you'll get back to the area again. Can be done in an afternoon return ...
There is a taped route off the Sentinel track but you would need better than average bush craft navigation skills
The irony of the term 'freedom' camping whilst hiding in thick bush scared of being apprehended by someone for wanting to camp for free in Mother Nature. And before they pipe in . Yes I know ...
theres a couple of DOC public consultgation meetings happening about the upgrade to powell hut, one in Porirua, one in Carterton, in mid july. if you want info on the meetings message me directly, you have ...
I think if I was going to do this, I'd think about Stewart Island, there's several hunters huts in the Port Adventure / Tikotatahi or Port Pegasus area, if you could track down the owners ...
1 2 3 4 5
301–325 of 1,237

Search the forums

Tracks, routes, and huts Ideas, plans, trip reports.
Topics 1,237
Posts 10,097
Top contributors
Permanent link