Visiting Auckland from the US

1–10 of 21

Hi all! Glad to be a part of the forums and super excited about my upcoming trip. NZ has always been very high on the bucket list and it seems as though I will find myself in Auckland for a week of work in July (maybe August). I have a substantial about of "tramping" experience all over the US and a bit in Europe. Everything from solo trips into the Mojave, Yosemite, the Rockies, to stretches of the Appalachian trail and much more. Hoping to get some local advice. I will be in Auckland for a week and plan to take a few days on the tail end to get into the backcountry. I know it is winter there and many of the higher elevations will be touch and go at best. I have a preference for remoteness and prefer to camp in my tent vs a hut. That said, I won't rule the right track out even if it means staying in huts. I will have a car and will be solo so a loop would be best but an in/out is fine too. I am looking for 2-3 night suggestions. I will leave work on Friday and will have Sat-Tues for myself. Open to either north or south island but I know getting very far south might be pushing it given my time frame and the season. Thanks in advance! Excited! -Darren
Hi Darren, welcome to our forum. Leaving from Auckland puts you a bit behind the ball from the outset. Most of the more interesting (but not all) tramping is at least 4-5 hours further south starting at Tongariro National Park. The more remote areas like the Kaimanawas, Ureweras, Kawekas and so on all come with challenges of one sort of another. If I was going to these places for my first tramp in NZ I'd not want to go on my own into these areas. Do-able, but very weather dependent. If I had 3-4 days at that time of year I'd probably be thinking about the weather which is likely to be bloody cold, wet and generally miserable, transport, and the fact that tramping solo at that time of year in a terrain I'm not familiar with isn't terribly smart. Actually my first choice to 'get away from it all' is the Waitakeries, a range of really nice little hills just west of Auckland. Lots of interesting tramps, great beaches and views and it's quite easy to find quiet little camp spots by a stream and have the entire valley to yourself. A bit further south there is some good tramping around Coromandel, or the Kaimai's. This site is a pretty good resource to be researching, and certainly the DoC (Department of Conservation) has plenty of info.
Thanks for the quick response Phillip. At first glance, the Waitakeries look interesting. Not the snow capped volcanoes in my dreams but given the logistics, time fame and season, it may very well be my most logical choice. Any specific 3 day suggestions there? Tongariro looks to be the most interesting within a few hours drive but never having been there, I am mostly dependent on advice of others. Solo travel doesn't bother me and I have a lot of solo experience in places like Yosemite, Zion, Mt. Whitney, etc but I'm also not looking to carry an avalanche beacon or put my self arrest skills to the test on this trip either. Would this rule TNP out?
waitakeres are a damp mudbath at this time of year.
Waitakeres have some very nice tramping, but waynowski is right, This time of year will be wet, chilly and very muddy.
Well it's not much better anywhere else either. TNP is definitely the most attractive option within striking distance of Auckland, but the huts there are almost always busy and a three day window just strikes me as a bit too rushed.
Could possibly make it a four day... Get nearby Fri night and car camp. In Sat... Out Tues
TNP would be fine as long as the weather is good and you know what you are doing with crampons and ice axe. Shouldn't be too busy mid-winter. Check out the Kaimai Ranges. Not big mountains, but it is nice bush and the main ridge has plenty of open places for great views. Lots of good places to camp, as well as a couple of huts. It's only 2 hours away from Auckland so you wouldn't waste too much time travelling. In the Waitakeres, check out the Hillary Trail (it takes in the most scenic parts of the coast line) although there are a myriad of tracks which you can link up to make big loops. Camping is only allowed in designated places. http://regionalparks.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/tracks/Tramping%20track
If you go to the kaimais the section from Motutapere hut north is themost intetesting. A series of old volcanic plugs similar to Aussie's glasshouse mountains, but incorporated into the backbone of the Kaimai Range. Maybe north from there to karangahake which has some fascinating history in a stunning setting. Check weather and snow level for the ridgeline stuff - but likely to be free of snow/ice even in winter.
Thanks to each of you for your input. You have given me plenty to research and think about. Leaning towards TNP with the Hilary and Kaimais as fall backs depending on conditions. Pumped!
1–10 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by greenie
On 27 June 2016
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown