Tracks, routes, and huts

551–575 of 1,237

I haven't been there but looking at the contour map getting up on to the NW end of the Browning Range from the Okuru or Turnbull and then heading SE to the summit looks doable!
Shane Mcausland - "..came across this (blown away hut) on a cold windy evening a couple of years ago, could have slept in the Vee of the roof but scurried back to a decent rock ...
DOC's press release: http://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2015/casey-hut-arthurs-pass-national-park-burnt-down/
1 2
My guidebook says it's doable in average flows, and quite fun.
Did some more searching on the old Fishnhunt forums and it seems people do (or at least did) go up there. Some beautiful open tops by the looks of some pics I found I must ...
@Dodgydave thanks there are some in there I don't know I'll cheak out the website thanks
note: the north routeburn isnt to be attempted in heavy rain, he routeburn river is too dangerous to cross in flood, and if rain is forecast, you could be cut off by the river if ...
1 2
Totaranui is always totally booked out in January, they have to have a ballot system such is the demand, but it's fabulous the rest of the year! Turn left when you get there and go ...
1 2 3
Have any luck? Where are you heading off to this time?
That bypass track is a bit of a hike!
Powell Hut for eg, isn't on a booking system year round currently. ["Seasonal restrictions: The hut is bookable online for the period from 18 November to 30 April"]. Is the usage really suffering under the ...
They were supper slick when I crossed, like rocks that are coated in algae. I remember the water being milky white with glacial deposits but I can't remember what colour the rocks were. Maybe I ...
Hi Lew To enable messages: hover the cursor over your wee avatar/name icon on the far right of the top bar of the home page. A drop down box will appear, so click on the profile ...
I haven't seen that one but I've used gpsvisualizer.com a few times.
Wx is variable in October which is Spring here. You can get doses of summer and winter in the one day. Average daily temp down at AP village level at that time of year would ...
skiers are usually finished with skiing by the end of oct, but there can still be a fair bit of snow around on the higher slopes... even though there can still be enough snow to ...
1 2
It's a hard area to read weatherwise. For the Lewis Pass region I often look at both Canterbury High Country and Nelson Lakes, then decide which is most applicable depending on the prevailing weather pattern/direction.
@antico More than worth it. Try this for what must be the ultimate in alpine tramping! http://ninadickerhof.smugmug.com/TrampingandmountaineeringinNew/Aspiring-Region/Circumnavigation-of-Aspiring/i-kFBsM7w/A
1 2
Harley - good idea. I contacted the one tour operator that I could find that runs a tour there. Unfortunately they said that they can't take packs. Hugh - The trip's not 100% certain at this ...
@Izogi: I suspect there may not have been 2 designated campsites in those days. At least, if there was one handy, this ranger wasn't telling!
Thanks for the info. With the weather forecast over the next week looking rainy, would that be a lot of snow on Motutapu track? Also the Kepler looks to be one day above the Alpine. ...
This is an easy walk to do with Kids and a very doable overnighter. 1.5hrs from the ranger station to the lake then about 2.5hrs to sandy bay hut. Easy to follow track magic hut ...
more info with some footage of the avalanche site https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/search-for-missing-best-friends-bodies-found-side-by-q03111
Hi For a confirmed ride suggest you contact Lance at Sika Lodge 07 384 2557. I have seen people hitch around there, but a Monday may be pretty quiet. Good luck.
Oh, and talking of signs, Doc has this sign up at the start of lower lake dive track saying that the track is overgrown, and may make navigation difficult. It appears the local Doc offices ...
1 2
551–575 of 1,237

Search the forums

Tracks, routes, and huts Ideas, plans, trip reports.
Topics 1,237
Posts 10,095
Top contributors
Permanent link