South Island short tramps and camping spots

Hi guys I'll be in NZ in October. I'm looking for beautiful day walks and remote camping spots (close to road or within 2-3 hours walk of road). My wife and I are experienced hikers. However, she'll be a bit pregnant so we won't be able to do anything too strenuous, including longer day walks or multinighters. I'm looking at fiordland and the Caitlins and all over the place really. We love mountains and oceans and remoteness with few or no people. We will probably be hiring a 4wd, though Not sure we want to go off-road (we can walk instead). For safety, we have plb, gps and sat phone.
Fiordland, within 3 hours of a road, with no crowds and with a pregnant wife??? Hmmmmmm... Lake Monowai - either at the Campsite, or an over nighter to Green Lake. The track down to Green Lake from the saddle can be a bit rough but the tops above the lake have nice camping. With a 4WD you could go up the Borland road to Manapouri South Arm campsite. The Kepler to Shallow Bay hut might be quiet. Theres lots of DOC campsites along the Milford Road but they can be busy, don't know about in October though. The lower Hollyford would be ok, either Hidden Falls or Lake Alabaster (Alabaster would be 4.5-5 hours). There's gorgeous camping south of Key Summit, beyond Point 1086. It takes 2.5 hours for a reasonably fit person walking at a steady pace to reach Lake Mackenzie from The Divide. How a pregnant wife gets on I'm not sure ;-)
she'll be a bit pregnant - classic!
Yea, my wife reacted a bit like that when she read it too.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Hisham
On 13 July 2016
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown