The campfire

351–375 of 1,476

Kathryn Ryan has been covering this issue yesterday and today. Yesterday (Tuesday) she hosted an extensive interview on Conservation Boards and their role in the current situation. http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/...
1 2
yes
2 3 4 5 6
john campbell interviewing the interview poster, Duane https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=271&v=i4qx39B0zE4
thanks Ruahine. Taupo tramper has supplied info on water source and track was ok a year ago. We are going out (or in depending on Wx) via Kiko Road.
Interesting how it used to be that tramping clubs, hunters etc. built and maintained the huts. Then a time when DOC virtually did it all, and even stopped others from doing anything. Then they eased ...
Does anyone know which NGOs have been accessing this legal aid in recent years?
Well cellphones certainly good, but they are not 100% reliable as we all know. There was some lost hunters here in the kaimais who were rescued last year after making a 111 call, so there has ...
1 2 3
Hunter vs tramper vs tourist is relevent in these stories. They pursue different goals, start with different preconceptions of where they'll go and what they'll do, and thus encounter different risks and make different mistakes.
Most clubs happily acept out of towners. If nothing else it gives an accommodation option on the way there. As for committing 3 weeks early give a thought to the trip leaders. Ive already committed ...
1 2
Gidday Glennj, We were thinking the same, I'm a teacher and there is no way I'd leave school gear in a hut. Too expensive on limited budget to take a risk... Nothing in the hut book ...
probably not a tramper. gang related http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/85201396/police-cordon-set-up-near-shannon-with-forensics-teams-present
@Ian_H; the bivvy is a classic hunters biv made from framing from salvaged 4 x 2's and planks from the beach plus fishing nets and overlain with blue tarps in successive layer. Last time we ...
1 2
Doc haven unusual way of accounting for things which is a large part of why they want rid of huts and are not always that keen on major renovations. Everything has to be defined as ...
1 2 3 4 5
That sounds like all questions answered all boxes either ticked or ready to be ticked when the need arises. So often a first look doesnt reveal the true complete picture. Web based groups like yours are most ...
1 2
The Outdoors Party spammed me with their newsletter a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how I got on their mailing list and there was no obvious way advised for getting off, which just irritates ...
1 2
So he was heading up Mt Mongomerie from Spence Glacier - presumably heading for Fyfe Pass and onto the Mueller. He'd already crossed from the Karangarua into the Landsboro - though by what route he ...
If ISIS militants got into our bush then they would be misplaced forever. Either that or hung by the bush lawyer.
1 2
"He had a ball hunting for yeti though has yet to see one." Did he check under all the rocks?
1 2 3
Well this is pertinent and quite interesting: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-30/mans-friendship-with-dogs-may-be-genetic,-new-study-suggests/7893206
1 2 3 4
after getting through most of the NI ranges, except Kaweka and Te urewera (I think), he was pretty much on schedule then his knees packed, as I recall I don't think he had too many illusions about ...
1 2
To answer the original question. If you know there is SAR looking for you and you can hear the rescue helicopters overhead. You MUST set off that beacon, if you have not already. It will help ...
I am a snorer. Have always been, no matter how fit/unfit I am at any given time. I have had a $3000 mouthguard made. Didn't work. I have had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction. That certainly ...
1 2 3 4
I found the Antarctic episode very interesting. I assume the nuances of the Fuchs/Hillary dynamics were accurately presented although that is rare these days when 'ratings' drive everything we see.
Ah yeah.... Aerosols and fire mix a little too well.... :D But absolutely right. Ask any kid the highlight of being in the outdoors, and I reckon the vast majority of them will say fire. (Camp ...
1 2 3
About 10 grand I reckon :-)
1 2 3
351–375 of 1,476

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,476
Posts 20,718
Top contributors
Permanent link