The campfire

226–250 of 1,486

> ...until eventually he met a situation he couldnt cope with which happened to be severe enough to kill him ...and most likely someone else, which makes it even more sad.
5 6 7 8 9
It's just another tool in the kit which may or may not be of assistance . There are so many circumstances possible, it is hard to say if it will be a critical factor or ...
1 2 3
Thumbs up Grinning
thanks for the link for status of pastoral leases, Matt. I've bookmarked it. Very useful.
Hi guys, @Kreig and I must have been on some kind of similar "forum break" as I noticed he's back too. Not sure many will know me if i'm totally honest, although I did speak with some ...
There's an excellent Stuff feature, from this month, on the motives for the mouse eradication at https://interactives.stuff.co.nz/2018/03/the-island/
Storm water is a different problem to sewage. It should be relatively clean although road water is often contaminated with road grime and lazy peoples oil change residue. Sewage though is something we should not be ...
Well, for starters, I'm getting a certified self-contained camper. And Auckland recently opened up a bunch of freedom camping spots; for self-contained campers. But there's always infinite other legal options. :)
1 2
My memory of Dome Shelter is that on an instruction weekend with the WTMC, our instructor had us have our lunch outside while it was snowing as he said this was a more realistic scenario ...
I understand where you're coming from Matthew. I would like to point out though, that the word 'urbanite' is not in any way derogatory - it simply means a person who lives in an urban ...
1 2 3 4 5
Thumbs up
Did the Fyffe Pass route in winter during the late 70's. Everything was frozen up when we did it and the avo risk was probably minimal, but from dim memory it was way easier than ...
Thumbs up
It was a good down to earth interview! @ PhilipW a number of us here are already active Permolat members. I joined up over 10 years ago after shifting back to the West Coast after a ...
Thumbs up
24 hours of "news" means that facts possibly get reported at the same rate they might have before, but now it tends to be delivered between swathes of never-ending low-cost opinion. That opinion frequently comes ...
1 2 3
Thumbs up
Couple of items on RNZ today https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/five-oclock-report/audio/2018628529/future-of-molesworth-station-to-be-considered https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/country/348158/what-does-the-future-hold-for-nz-s-lar...
We got over tramping with our baby pretty quick. We got a half dozen in before he turned one but we got over it, it's hard smashing through scrub with a baby sticking out the ...
1 2 3
I've posted under Photographs about the relics on Kellys Range. A photograph of part of the dry stone wall structure that is up there features. As to shafts there are some up there that I've ...
Thumbs up
Hey @zoneblue. Thanks again for documenting the unofficial Egmont National Park tracks off Carrington Road at http://www.zoneblue.nz/cms/page.php?view=kiri-track . This afternoon I finally had an opportunity to go out for a couple of hours and...
Very rough terrain up there. I've only heard of one individual going to Mt Somers that way. I've taken routes closer to the saddle between the 2 huts.
@madpom Those are totals for the 2017 season. 2016 they were: $25 per 4WD Vehicle $15 per Motorcycle $2 per Mountain Biker Trampers - no charge Personally I'm NOT comfortable paying $40 to use that road, especially when it's double ...
From Cascade Cove up to that lake at 141m looks OK, but like Wayno, I don't like the look of the gorge from there down to Lake Frazer. From Cascade Cove up to the hut ...
I saw countless people lining the streets on January 22nd, in silence paying their last respects as the funeral procession drove by
When you sign the contract you become a volunteer worker and therefore liable to the same h&S as regular employees
1 2
'Holy Rock'...... Which was graffitied. As an Aussie who has done many of the more well-known walks in Australia, I have my own views. They involve respect, but pragmatic respect. That goes not just for ...
1 2
@ Madpom, i totally agree with the sentiments of the other forum users. Your ‘maps past’ website is excellent, as is the ‘route guides’ site. I sincerely appreciate your wonderful efforts & contributions to our ...
1 2
As a snorer, I'm gonna have to check out this snorex. I've been known to sleep in the woodshed if I realize it's going to be one of those nights where I'm going to snore. ...
1 2 3
Really looking forward to two weeks in march in the south island with my wife and two children, 6 and 8 yrs. We have planned 3 different tramps in the Kahurangi, 1 or 2 days ...
1 2
226–250 of 1,486

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,486
Posts 20,731
Top contributors
Permanent link