Commercial Guiding without Permit/Concession

An interesting paradox has arisen in the form of WayWiser. For lack of a better description - WayWiser is a facebook-like site where members PAY to belong and get access to GUIDED runs and hikes. While the actual guided runs are free for members, the membership fee surely means this is a commercial operation. WayWiser have no agreement with DoC, Iwi or land owners. I suspect that technically the legal responsibility would probably fall on the guides should anything go wrong during any of these organised runs. A pseudo loophole exists in that the guides are being remunerated with free gear (sponsored by Bivouac) and discounted WayWiser membership. So while not paid directly they are receiving fringe benefits. Here's the rub, Actual permitted hiking guides PAY a CONSIDERABLE sum annually to do this LEGALLY and within the existing parameters laid out by Doc and the various landowners. Last year an Australian Trail Running company (mile27) sought access to do this on great walks formally and was declined in most instances (http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/73949278/Australian-company-seeking-to-operate-running-trips-on-Routeburn-track). Forgive me for calling bullshit where I see it, but - BULLSHIT. This isn't a trail running vs tramping discussion rather a call for fairness for those that are actually following the rules. Commercial operators on great walks are regulated and limited in the interests of protecting our assets and while groups can turn up and use them at any time it's unfair for a commercial operation to go to such lengths to sidestep the rules.
16 comments
11–16 of 16

Where's an example of Waywiser or a guide actually requesting payment? I realise it provides methods for people to pay each other, but I've registered (never signed up to any trips) and I didn't encounter any requests for money. If specific people are advertising trips on public land, and then taking money other than cost-covering (maybe this includes tips -- especially if they're expected), then I'd expect those people would be liable for needing a concession.... which would seem completely reasonable to me. For the amount Waywiser shaves off, though, I wonder if it'd be quite so clear cut. On the 3% thing which goes to Waywiser: Firstly, is that actual profit for Waywiser, or is it just (for example) a transferal of the 2.9%+45cents per transaction which the upstream Braintree payment service charges as standard when Waywiser uses it? Waywiser itself takes donations, which to me suggests that it's non-profit, even if registered as a company. Secondly, even if it were somehow making a profit, I wonder if WayWiser might also be able to argue that it's just a mechanism for other people to organise stuff, either on or off the conservation estate. For comparison, my tramping club sometimes hires vans from a rental company and drives them into conservation land. The rental company makes a profit when trip members share the cost to pay for it, but for a host of reasons that doesn't make it liable to paying a concession fee.
In other words Pirate Bay for trampers
As someone who has signed up to the WayWiser site (on a basic free membership), the idea is simply to link up like-minded people for adventures such as rock-climbing, trail running and mountain biking. The 'guides' are not paid, and are simply people who have volunteered to organise a trip. Same as the 'trip leader' of a tramping club trip may not be an expert. Sometimes it is simply a case of some one putting their hand up to say "I'm doing xxx next Saturday, who wants to come along?". The trip leaders do not get paid, although they do receive discounts from the site sponsors. It does raise an interesting point regarding concessions etc. though. Wouldn't MeetUp be in the same boat?
Cool. So like Meetup.com, but run from and more focused on NZ. What's going on here, incidentally, with WayWiser promoting "packages" with "prices yet to be finalised"? https://waywiser.co.nz/trip-packages/ Is it just WayWiser going out of its way to organise volunteer guides, or is there also a side to the site where it pays people? (Also in saying so, there's nothing clear to indicate that any of these activities would necessarily be occurring on the conservation estate if someone were being paid.)
Hello all... Just thought I would weigh in as the CEO of WayWiser. This particular topic is one we've come across and discussed quite often and very openly. As someone else has already mentioned, WayWiser simply provides a platform for likeminded, adventurous souls to gather and organise trips. As such, we are very much like Meetup (a large, established, commercial business that's already using this exact business model) with a specific focus on adventure sports. This means that as a business, we are not liable or required to obtain permits for DOC land. The people using our site are not employed by WayWiser. In addition, at the moment, all trips going through our platform are shared adventures. There's no cost other than shared cost. Booking them is free, there is no booking fee. Very nice and thorough of some folks, reading our T&Cs. The 3% is, indeed, what Braintree would charge us, where there to be a monetary transaction. To keep our platform running, to keep working to make it better everyday, and to keep this part of our service (shared adventures) completely free, we will need to make money somehow, someday. We will at some point make our service available to professional guides. Professional guides using our site will be required to have all their liability and concessions in place before guiding for-profit. WayWiser will take a small transaction fee when these trips are booked. We are also just TESTING the idea of creating introduction to sports packages. Should these go forward, we will be working with local certified providers who we know and trust to create them, thereby getting more people into adventure sports and giving local business owners more business. Should we take any of these groups onto conservation land, obviously permits will need to be in place. I do hope this answers everyone's questions. As with any new idea, I realise there are people on either side of the line. What I'd just like to say is that we are 4 friends who have spent our lives loving and respecting the great outdoors, and who are committing the rest of our lives to making it easier for others to do so. Anyone who'd like to chat with me further is more than welcome to do so: [Email address removed] Best, Brittany
That sounds like all questions answered all boxes either ticked or ready to be ticked when the need arises. So often a first look doesnt reveal the true complete picture. Web based groups like yours are most probably the future of so many outdoor ventures. For the most part they should work well and do cater to the modern person. Good luck with the venture
11–16 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by eponymous
On 4 October 2016
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown