The campfire

1,301–1,325 of 1,486

I agree with that. I'd take a sandfly over a midge any day.
1 2 3
We're looking at the Jordan / Sphinx Saddles from the Waimakariri River over into the Avoca Valley in Arthur's Pass as a 3-day trip. How about you?
Great advice, Matt. My Dad took my sisters when they were 6 and 7 years old overland from Doubtful Sound to Dusky Sound. This was in 1958. It gave them a love for tramping. There were ...
1 2 3
Having followed it for another day I'm no longer convinced that anything serious will happen to them beyond a lot of embarassment, and a threat of arrest hanging over them if they ever return to ...
6 7 8 9 10
Bivouac in Newmarket still have a few.
What about Pinnacles Hut or Woolshed Creek Hut at Mt Somers?
Back at my desk now. I can't believe it is all over. What a fantastio trip. Started out with rain sleet hail and snow on Friday followed by a very cold night and morning Saturday ...
This is not a marketing ploy but if you really want a good book to read then try Hunters, Rogues and heros written by Conner Mckenzie. Its stories written by conner about his deer culling ...
Dock leaves are excellent on stinging nettle stings, finding one in the native bush is hard. Think I might start taking a basic first aid kit after getting a bee sting on my knee 10km ...
1 2 3
I can only hope it stays buried in the most difficult to find filing cabinet available. The only reason for bringing it to the forefront again was to make it easier for prospectors to get ...
1 2
I am waiting to hear back from them. Will let you know soon...
I usually try to get out for a day trip in between milkings and on my weekends off usually try to bag a new hut, doesnt worry me if its raining as long as im ...
Hi Roderick I'd be keen on that. Love learning about our backyard.
Well, Poma is keen to play the treasury tune so he just might try but I think the Canterbuy conservator who is a hunter mightn't be so keen. I suspect he finds it as sick ...
1 2 3
Old grannys indeed! Actually feel like one today, and look it too - bit stiff and sore! We had a great day out, views everywhere including Ruapehu. It's a good event for trampers, there's a ...
Will be able to organize something here if interested: a day, a weekend or a few day walk possibly including other activities. I live in Oakleigh-Monash near St Kilda Beach and Dandenong Ranges located east ...
1 2
Thanks for the tip, but I've got it. It was Esmond James Kime. I also asked in the WTMC forum (which was easy), and someone pointed out that the National Library's digitised many of its old ...
Its OK pmcke im told a weeks a long time in politics!
Amusing story here about geocachers finding hut ruins. http://www.ashburtonguardian.co.nz/news/ashburton-news/hut-ruins-rediscovered-on-mt-somers-1435-0.html I did some research, and here is the geocache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_d...
It's refreshing to hear of someone speak about self reliance these days as it seems to be a minority now. Once a very strong advocate of such practice i even find myself guilty from time ...
In our house it's the wife who is deaf, and yes Aardvark is right, tramping is a great cure for that. When Norm was complaining about the quiet, I was down tramping in the Tararuas.
1 2
Im based here in Southland and was considering doing the Hollyford or Green stone and Caples,or just about any thing around the area in Feb or March,Have done the Humpridge,Milford and Routeburn,Might even consider the ...
If anyone is interested in shuttling over to the Leslie/Karamea start after 2/3 or so, I would love to share the shuttle from Nelson. Originally was thinking of a Harper's Pass walk for next week, and ...
Moi? Panic? Thanks.
me and a mate are booking water taxi up lake rotorua on a the 11 th march about 10 am to start a tramp any one wishing to share costs i would keen to here ...
1,301–1,325 of 1,486

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,486
Posts 20,731
Top contributors
Permanent link