Kaweka Challenge

I have just seen on Facebook that fruitbat is off to do the 28K 1 day event of the Kaweka Challenge this weekend. The weather forecast is good so I wish her and anyone else participating the best of luck.
Im impressed ive walked round that in two days that was enough!
At least the weather forecast is better than last year, when the conditions were atrocious. Police and SAR were called in to search for 2 missing competitors who went the wrong way. Fortunately they were doing a 2 day course so had a tent!
Hey good luck with that. From all accounts its a great event.Might even give it a go next year.
Just heard back from my tramping buddy Sue who is 56 years old. She did the 41k course in 10hrs 4mins and 49sec. She came second in the vets class. Fruitbat did the 28k course and had a time of 8hrs something. Aparently it was a wonderful day.
41k thats over kuripapango-kiwisaddle-castlecamp-maddog-kawekaJ-matauria ridge and back over kuripapango ? 10 hours even with running shoes and no pack to speak of thats very well done. Remind me to just meet you guys some day not actually walk any distance with you.
They don't come back over Kuripapango, they come back around the forestry roads by the Lakes. I didn't mention that both Sue and Fruitbat have grandchildren so it isn't bad for a couple of old grannys. Fruitbat's time for the 28k course, 8hrs 32mins and 1st in the super vet class. The only reason that Sue came second in her event was that they didn't have a super vet class in the 41k event so she had to enter in the vet class so came second to a meer youth.
Old grannys indeed! Actually feel like one today, and look it too - bit stiff and sore! We had a great day out, views everywhere including Ruapehu. It's a good event for trampers, there's a 2 day course where you camp the night at MacIntosh Hut. For the 1 day events you have to carry around 5-6kg of compulsory gear. Don't worry Bigpaul, I don't move very fast with a full pack!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by pmcke
On 25 February 2010
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown