IN THE NEWS

Historic wreckage removed illegally By TANYA KATTERNS - The Dominion Post Last updated 22:46 06/03/2009 Share Print Text Size Supplied DISAPPEARING PLANE: The air force Devon became a landmark high up in the Tararua Range. The wreckage of a plane strewn near the gravesites of two pilots killed in the crash in the Tararua Range more than 50 years ago has been stripped in an act damned by the Conservation Department "as daylight robbery". In the past week, parts of the plane's remains, which are now owned by the Crown, have been whisked away and other sections have been moved into clearings for easier removal. The plane, an RNZAF Devon, was on a training flight from Ohakea when it crashed on Shingle Slip Knob, near Mt Holdsworth, on February 17, 1955. Flight lieutenants Edward Casey and William Trott were buried 100 metres from the site on a hilltop after their bodies were discovered three days later. The wreckage and the two simple white crosses bearing the men's names have remained there as a grim reminder of the hazards of the rugged range. The Conservation Department, which manages Tararua Forest Park, was alerted this week to efforts to remove the wreckage by helicopter. Tramper Barry Durrant told The Dominion Post he saw a red and white Hughes 500 helicopter make three trips to the site of the wreckage last Friday. An engine was seen being lifted out of the wreckage and taken to a clearing at a road end. DOC's Wairarapa area manager Chris Lester said the crash site, though not listed as having historical protection, was part of the forest park's history. "Even if someone had approached us for consent, I would never have approved it till the RNZAF and the families of the two men who died and were buried nearby were consulted." The wreckage belonged to the Crown, as it was on crown land, and any attempts to recover the plane had to be granted consent. "We have been in contact with our lawyers and whatever is going on up there is very illegal. Daylight robbery even. Anyone who thinks they can try to do something like that covertly are fooling themselves." Mr Lester and a DOC ranger flew to the site on Wednesday. "There is certainly clear evidence that the engine is gone. Part of a wing has been moved to a clearing for easier removal. We don't know who is behind it and what the motive is. While there may be suspicions, the investigation and groundwork begins. "We will be monitoring the site."
95 comments
81–90 of 95

>Good god, what's new? There have always been tracks in the wrong place, tracks that have been overgrown and tracks that are not marked on maps. I am disgusted to see that a Tramping Club is complaining. Absolutely, pmcke. I'm glad you raised this as I was intending to, myself. I am very concerned that this is a Doc planted grizzle to enable them to push for LINZ to no longer publish old and unmaintained tracks on the maps. Frank and I have been rehabilitating some of these tracks that lead to underused huts e.g. Big Tops, Rocky Ck, Ranger Biv and Salmon Ck. As you say anyone with any nous in the hills knows a marked track on the map doesn't mean necessarily much on the ground! It's very easy these days to find out the condition of these tracks through on-line groups such as permolat (remote huts), tramper.co.nz etc. The other issue is that Doc have defined what a track is i.e. some trail that is marked at quite regular intervals as opposed to a route which is more intermittently marked and with a less obvious footpad. Well, the word track actually indicates any foot trail that is evident to others e.g. when we track burglars! So just because a track is marked on the map, this shouldn't have to mean it must be up to a particular standard decided on or expected by this chief guide person. If I was in the Manawatu Tramping Club, I'd be a bit concerned about this demonstration of the lack of experience of their chief guide. I say this as someone who has held the equivalent position myself in one of our clubs.
Just to add a quick note, I don't think there *is* officially a Manawatu Tramping Club as it's been reported. Based on the name mentioned, I'm fairly sure it's the Manawatu Tramping and Skiing Club, not to be confused with others nearby with similar names such as the Palmerston North Tramping & Mountaineering Club.
Regarding the Ruahine map errors, I posted something on my blog a few days ago and a chap from Palmy who's spent a lot of time in the Ruahines (not in any way related to the concerned club) has written a comment with detailed thoughts about some of the errors and criticism. There's probably another side to this -- his belief is that some of the errors are potentially very serious given where they appear and where they could lead people. The comment is here: http://www.windy.gen.nz/index.php/archives/446#comment-10691
I emailed the Manawatu Tramping & Skiing Club and asked where these errors were specifically. I got a reply that the email had been forwarded to the person concerned but no other reply yet.
What would be good to see is that with all these non-maintained tracks and routes mentioned that one or more of the locals gets off their butts and cuts the tracks as we are doing in permolat. Just come back from rerouting a 3 minute section of Rocky Creek track so it no longer runs on the edge of an precipice. We drove 190km two ways and it took us the weekend to acheive this 150m new line. Our line is a beauty though the view is not as spectacular!
Hello. Well people certainly get out and do that kind of thing in the Ruahines as with anywhere else, but perhaps not in some of those places marked on the maps. (Maybe they would if they wanted to go there, I guess.) I wouldn't be surprised if there are many cut routes with no map indication at all, which maybe is an argument for LINZ to have its information up-to-date wherever it possibly can. One of the problems in the past is that it's only been practical to publish maps every 10-15 years, but things seem to be changing so it's less likely to be as much of an issue in the future.
Here's an update from today's Manawatu Standard: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3422144 From near the end: "Search and rescue volunteer and Manawatu tramping club member Peter Rawlands said an error on the maps caused a search and rescue effort at Waipawa Forkes about six weeks ago. The trampers got stuck after the river was at high flow, and the track they believed they could walk along to get out was not there, he said." I wish they'd get it right and call it the Manawatu Tramping and Skiing Club. At least I think that's the club it actually is.
Just posted to Stuff regarding the Kime Hut deaths last July: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3429667 "The decision to launch a search and rescue operation should not be left to just one person, a coroner has recommended following the tramping tragedy that claimed the life of Te Papa boss Seddon Bennington." [--snip--] "Mr Scott concluded that Mr Bennington and Ms Jackson actually survived he night and died on the morning of Sunday July 12." [--snip--] "There was however a chance the search could have been launched in adverse weather conditions a day earlier but Mr Bigwood decided, by that stage, the pair would have either made it to Kime Hut or perished." [--snip--] ""While I'm not in favour of forming committees when lives are in the balance, I pondered long and hard about whether these decisions should be peer-reviewed by someone of equal expertise within say 30 minutes," he said." Be cautious about taking this article at face value. I'm guessing the reporter has zeroed in on one particular recommendation about how SAR works, but the final paragraph still agrees the key factors were lack of equipment and preparation.
This is terrorable. I hope the Department or the media can catch up withthese guys and ask them to account. http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/3512494/Tourist-shoots-native-bird
They've since removed the video from YouTube, but other people have re-posted it. eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sraTGKjafpc or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhEaMobR5lk (Note that content may disturb.) It's almost 5 minutes, but only a few seconds show the Kereru shooting that seems to have sparked the controversy. It also shows shooting a Paradise Shelduck with a rifle (not shotgun as legally required) and probably no licence. Overall it looks like a few young idiots who were stupid enough to not realise they were doing something illegal, or that they could somehow get away with it despite posting clear evidence. Apparently they might be able to be prosecuted in Norway for this if the New Zealanders don't get them -- http://www.stuff.co.nz/3514460
81–90 of 95

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by brenthen
On 7 March 2009
Replies 94
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown