IN THE NEWS

Historic wreckage removed illegally By TANYA KATTERNS - The Dominion Post Last updated 22:46 06/03/2009 Share Print Text Size Supplied DISAPPEARING PLANE: The air force Devon became a landmark high up in the Tararua Range. The wreckage of a plane strewn near the gravesites of two pilots killed in the crash in the Tararua Range more than 50 years ago has been stripped in an act damned by the Conservation Department "as daylight robbery". In the past week, parts of the plane's remains, which are now owned by the Crown, have been whisked away and other sections have been moved into clearings for easier removal. The plane, an RNZAF Devon, was on a training flight from Ohakea when it crashed on Shingle Slip Knob, near Mt Holdsworth, on February 17, 1955. Flight lieutenants Edward Casey and William Trott were buried 100 metres from the site on a hilltop after their bodies were discovered three days later. The wreckage and the two simple white crosses bearing the men's names have remained there as a grim reminder of the hazards of the rugged range. The Conservation Department, which manages Tararua Forest Park, was alerted this week to efforts to remove the wreckage by helicopter. Tramper Barry Durrant told The Dominion Post he saw a red and white Hughes 500 helicopter make three trips to the site of the wreckage last Friday. An engine was seen being lifted out of the wreckage and taken to a clearing at a road end. DOC's Wairarapa area manager Chris Lester said the crash site, though not listed as having historical protection, was part of the forest park's history. "Even if someone had approached us for consent, I would never have approved it till the RNZAF and the families of the two men who died and were buried nearby were consulted." The wreckage belonged to the Crown, as it was on crown land, and any attempts to recover the plane had to be granted consent. "We have been in contact with our lawyers and whatever is going on up there is very illegal. Daylight robbery even. Anyone who thinks they can try to do something like that covertly are fooling themselves." Mr Lester and a DOC ranger flew to the site on Wednesday. "There is certainly clear evidence that the engine is gone. Part of a wing has been moved to a clearing for easier removal. We don't know who is behind it and what the motive is. While there may be suspicions, the investigation and groundwork begins. "We will be monitoring the site."
95 comments
71–80 of 95

i saw that article about DOC, anyone else worried about almost everything mentioned in that?
I guess an article such as that is most effective to galvanise support for the reasons national parks were formed in the first place. If no-one was to react it would possibly give good reason for such proposals to progress. It would appear that money dictates everything these days and it's a sad indictment on our society.
It'd probably depend on how it's done and exactly where and to what extent this kind of stuff is implemented. We already have a lot of commercial operators operating on conservation land (or is it just very near conservation land), including the odd private luxury resort. Having recently seen the odd national park in a small subset of other countries, though, I've really come to appreciate the New Zealand model and take it less for granted.
There is a lot of dead wood at the top of the DOC tree. Talk to any of the root organisation and the story is the same - frustration with funds not getting to where we get benefit. Some dodgy decisions also - you have the fiasco such as the Angelus Hut. Lets replace a 24 bunker (that held about 36), with a flash new 28 bunker or something. Hundreds of thousands for no effective gain. There is a shelter at Glenorchy that cost $350k or something. Just for a roof! In the mean time tourist are crapping all over the place because of the lack of toilets, causing pressure to legislate all sorts of traditional Kiwi freedoms into oblivion. ARGH.
I have to agree. This part in particular filled me with dread: "Allowing energy-creation schemes on DOC land". I got a mental image of the tops of the Tararuas covered with wind farms.
Charge people to use the toilets... then they won't, they will go in the bush... leaving "presents" for others and contaminating water sources. "Business New Zealand chief executive Phil O'Reilly said New Zealand needed to consider whether it was getting the best value from its conservation estate or whether it was worth digging up minerals, encouraging private firms to plant carbon sinks, or build hydro schemes. Setting up a DOC business unit would help with "unlocking the true value" of the estate, he said." Of course he says that - he is Business NZ chief executive. But conservation is not a profit-making business (in my opinion neither are accident insurance or our health system, but lets not go there). The "true value" of the estate is in preserving natural environments, animals & plants, and providing educational and recreational opportunities. Not money making. I think they have it all wrong and yes, I am worried about it.
Well apparently the previous government was too boring, or something like that.
Note that last Monday, the Dominion Post came out in its editorial more or less against underfunding of DOC and commercial development of parks. http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/opinion/editorials/3356908/Editorial-A-big-yellow-taxi-on-the-Milford-Track "The conservation estate is not meant to be a money- making project or part of a strategy to help Kiwi incomes catch up to those in Australia. It is meant to protect what helps make New Zealand unique for future generations. DOC should be properly funded by the Government to do that. It should not find itself in the position of having to compromise principles to raise cash."
Just saw this.. http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/3387990/Mountain-maps-full-of-track-errors Good god, what's new? There have always been tracks in the wrong place, tracks that have been overgrown and tracks that are not marked on maps. I am disgusted to see that a Tramping Club is complaining. We get excellent service from LINZ as far as maps are concerned. We have consistent high quality topos for the whole country. What's more LINZ have waived the copyright on the data so it is possible for 3rd parties to make their own maps. Not many other countries have this. I think LINZ should be congratulated, not condemmed. Maps are only a represntation of what exists. If you find an error, point it out to those concerned and get on with life.
Yes I agree completely. One nitpickey semantic thing for anyone reading this... LINZ retains Crown Copyright on the data, but gives licence for it to be copied and redistributed on condition that an acknowledgment note is shown. The full text is here (scroll down to "Acknowledging copyright": http://www.linz.govt.nz/about-linz/about-this-website/crown-copyright-and-disclaimer/index.aspx
71–80 of 95

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by brenthen
On 7 March 2009
Replies 94
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown