First Aid Kit Recommendations

1–10 of 24

Hi all I've decided it's about time I knuckled under and put together a decent first aid kit. I do a fair amount of tramping on my own and wondered if anyone had a preferred supplier or could otherwise suggest/recommend either a ready made kit or perhaps what they consider the best things to carry with you? I've looked at the StJohns, NZFirstAid and RedCross offerings so far and am thinking I could probably add one or two items to these as per the Mtn Safety Council recommendations. Any thoughts/comments appreciated!
Take a look at the Lifesystems site, if you don't fancy them you can still use the info to make up a decent kit yourself I guess. http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/psec/first_aid_kits/outdoor_first_aid_kits.htm
Have you done a first aid course? I found that was useful to see what I actually used for each scenario- although I've never used anything except blister dressings, strapping tape, splinter probes, bandaids, and big waterproof dressings (sold in flat paper packets about 10cm square - both with and without a gauze pad)
//www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10618994
Bivoac Outdoors supplies a handy little firstaid pack for about $30 which has pretty much everything in it for minor injuries, even comes with a multitool which surprised me. Add a large packet of bandaids (I get covered in scrapes every trip I do), large box of Panadol/Codine, and a survival blanket (got that from R&R Sports) and I think Im good to go.
Thanks to all for considered responses. Yups I need to do a first aid course - haven't booked it but it's on my 2010 to-do list. Think the Bivouac kit plus a few extra items like sunscreen, strapping tape & panadol could fit the bill. Igwaddel - just how easily things can go pear shaped for lack of planning never far from my mind in the outdoors. I think I'm becoming more obsessive in this regard as the years roll by =)
For what it's worth, two things I'm gradually coming to appreciate in the first aid kit are Voltaren (heavy painkiller) and anti-histomines (mostly to dull down something like wasp stings).
Keep it basic, dont bother with the Rambo needle and thread stuff, or enough gear to do open heat surgery The most important fuctions of a personal first aid kit are to stop heavy bleeding, and some kind of pain relief. Need any more than this, eg, a broken leg, your probably not walking out and will be waiting for rescue, you should have means of raising the alert via other party members or a PLB. If its only a cut or a light sprain then youll be able to hobble out. Also, dont forget medication for any allergies.
You need to have a good stretch bandage and a roll of tape like micropore. Throw out any tubes of antiseptic ointment and bottles of antiseptic lotion. Wounds should just be kept clean [with water]and covered with a dressing.
LemSip stuff is great when your wet and cold and the chest is starting to close over.
1–10 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by monkeysh1ne
On 7 January 2010
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown