IN THE NEWS

Historic wreckage removed illegally By TANYA KATTERNS - The Dominion Post Last updated 22:46 06/03/2009 Share Print Text Size Supplied DISAPPEARING PLANE: The air force Devon became a landmark high up in the Tararua Range. The wreckage of a plane strewn near the gravesites of two pilots killed in the crash in the Tararua Range more than 50 years ago has been stripped in an act damned by the Conservation Department "as daylight robbery". In the past week, parts of the plane's remains, which are now owned by the Crown, have been whisked away and other sections have been moved into clearings for easier removal. The plane, an RNZAF Devon, was on a training flight from Ohakea when it crashed on Shingle Slip Knob, near Mt Holdsworth, on February 17, 1955. Flight lieutenants Edward Casey and William Trott were buried 100 metres from the site on a hilltop after their bodies were discovered three days later. The wreckage and the two simple white crosses bearing the men's names have remained there as a grim reminder of the hazards of the rugged range. The Conservation Department, which manages Tararua Forest Park, was alerted this week to efforts to remove the wreckage by helicopter. Tramper Barry Durrant told The Dominion Post he saw a red and white Hughes 500 helicopter make three trips to the site of the wreckage last Friday. An engine was seen being lifted out of the wreckage and taken to a clearing at a road end. DOC's Wairarapa area manager Chris Lester said the crash site, though not listed as having historical protection, was part of the forest park's history. "Even if someone had approached us for consent, I would never have approved it till the RNZAF and the families of the two men who died and were buried nearby were consulted." The wreckage belonged to the Crown, as it was on crown land, and any attempts to recover the plane had to be granted consent. "We have been in contact with our lawyers and whatever is going on up there is very illegal. Daylight robbery even. Anyone who thinks they can try to do something like that covertly are fooling themselves." Mr Lester and a DOC ranger flew to the site on Wednesday. "There is certainly clear evidence that the engine is gone. Part of a wing has been moved to a clearing for easier removal. We don't know who is behind it and what the motive is. While there may be suspicions, the investigation and groundwork begins. "We will be monitoring the site."
95 comments
61–70 of 95

I read this this morning and was disappointed about the comments from the local SAR guy. Perhaps he'd been dragged out of bed too late, but either way some of his quotes and recommendations seemed very overblown. There are extra issues to consider at night, but it's certainly not danger across the board. That's why tramping shops often stock grunty powerful head-torches that are far too powerful to be just for hut use. As for showing up late, I do that quite often. It's a great way to knock off the first few hours on a Friday night and wake up somewhere nicer than the end of a road. It's just a case of trying to be quiet and as courteous as possible in the circumstances, which might mean making compromises like immediately bedding down on the floor, etc.
It's nobody elses business what hours you keep with whatever you do provided your not going out of your way to inconvenience others. I often wrestle with this issue and bristle at the suggestion of some that you should conform to what the majority do. I currently do a graveyard shift and have done for 3 yrs in my worklife and am forced to simply work around that to do what i really live for. However when working a NORMAL ?? day job i have to walk at night, even in the working week, to achieve my interests. I don't see a night hour as anything different to a daylighht hour and to hell with anyone else.
totally agree with you guys. I think also the harsh response may have something to do with the fact they were tourists. SAR and the Police have to discourage any additional risks taken by tourists considering how many of them get into trouble and the bad publicity and possible damage to tourism that arises when they do have accidents. Many of us 'locals' are generally more aware of the terrain and possible risks of tramping at night... ie not crossing dodgy rivers in poor light etc. its usually more a case of getting to a hut on a decent track after a long drive.
Totally agree with all your comments here. Once again, an "official" getting jumped up about his authority. I too often tramp at night, especially on Friday. It is great chance to get some of the trip out of the way and it is much better to wake up on Saturday morning in the bush and not have to worry about getting there. The trouble with some of these "officials" is that they are not trampers and they are more worried about risk management than anything else.
I agree too, I like night tramping especially if there's moonlight. Once we were woken by noisy people arriving at 2am, but they had to leave Wellington after work, and wouldn't have had time to do their climb otherwise. No one seemed unhappy about it, it's not like it happens every day and anyway half the time snorers keep you awake most of the night !!
Like many in this forum I have spent many a Friday tramping late into a Hut to ensure plenty of ground can be covered over the weekend. Is night tramping really a crime? I don't think so. You need to respect others whether it is 2am or 11am! When I arrive late I always get the group I am with to get their sleeping gear out from outside the hut - noisy pack liners etc. And if you arrive at a hut mid-morning and there are hunters resting after an early morning hunt, the fact it is mid-morning doesn't automatically make it right to make as much noise as you like. I agree that this party "It's just ignoring tramping etiquette." - because they allowed an individual to be isolated from their group. It was pretty close to full moon. It might have been a nice trip over Gillespie Pass that night?
I have found it prudent many times to use the early morning hours as travel time, eg 2 -3 hrs by car, to begin a walk so as to maximise daylight hours available for an objective. Particularly with leading club walks. It allows for delays and perhaps inexperience within a group and therefore time to spare at the end of the day in the event something goes wrong. It is better than dealing with trouble in the dark. As a result i have learnt to enjoy the hours around dawn for walking. Typically now i would leave home at 1.00am. Start walking at 3.30am and perhaps be at the top of a peak for dawn or shortly thereafter. It is a fine feeling to have done alot of hard work in the cooler hours and have done so much with so much of the day still to spare. It is fun sometimes seeing reactions from others who have slept overnight on a peak and suddenly you appear so early.
The inquest to Seddon Bennington and Marcella Jackson deaths started yesterday. Stuff has a summary here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3337571/Compass-could-have-saved-Te-Papa-boss
The original thread is here in case anyone's searching. http://www.tramper.co.nz/?id=472&view=topic
DOC to provide home comforts for a fee http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/new-zealand/3347093/DOC-to-provide-home-comforts-for-a-fee
61–70 of 95

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by brenthen
On 7 March 2009
Replies 94
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown