IN THE NEWS

Historic wreckage removed illegally By TANYA KATTERNS - The Dominion Post Last updated 22:46 06/03/2009 Share Print Text Size Supplied DISAPPEARING PLANE: The air force Devon became a landmark high up in the Tararua Range. The wreckage of a plane strewn near the gravesites of two pilots killed in the crash in the Tararua Range more than 50 years ago has been stripped in an act damned by the Conservation Department "as daylight robbery". In the past week, parts of the plane's remains, which are now owned by the Crown, have been whisked away and other sections have been moved into clearings for easier removal. The plane, an RNZAF Devon, was on a training flight from Ohakea when it crashed on Shingle Slip Knob, near Mt Holdsworth, on February 17, 1955. Flight lieutenants Edward Casey and William Trott were buried 100 metres from the site on a hilltop after their bodies were discovered three days later. The wreckage and the two simple white crosses bearing the men's names have remained there as a grim reminder of the hazards of the rugged range. The Conservation Department, which manages Tararua Forest Park, was alerted this week to efforts to remove the wreckage by helicopter. Tramper Barry Durrant told The Dominion Post he saw a red and white Hughes 500 helicopter make three trips to the site of the wreckage last Friday. An engine was seen being lifted out of the wreckage and taken to a clearing at a road end. DOC's Wairarapa area manager Chris Lester said the crash site, though not listed as having historical protection, was part of the forest park's history. "Even if someone had approached us for consent, I would never have approved it till the RNZAF and the families of the two men who died and were buried nearby were consulted." The wreckage belonged to the Crown, as it was on crown land, and any attempts to recover the plane had to be granted consent. "We have been in contact with our lawyers and whatever is going on up there is very illegal. Daylight robbery even. Anyone who thinks they can try to do something like that covertly are fooling themselves." Mr Lester and a DOC ranger flew to the site on Wednesday. "There is certainly clear evidence that the engine is gone. Part of a wing has been moved to a clearing for easier removal. We don't know who is behind it and what the motive is. While there may be suspicions, the investigation and groundwork begins. "We will be monitoring the site."
95 comments
91–95 of 95

It is good news to see that Norwegian law may call them to account. I hope that this can happen. I am sure we would be called to account if we were killing endagered species in another country.
Yes, its idiots like these that bring responsible firearms users into disrepute.I hope they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I believe they can be prosecuted in Norway under the "Lacey Act" for thier crime here in NZ.
Having followed it for another day I'm no longer convinced that anything serious will happen to them beyond a lot of embarassment, and a threat of arrest hanging over them if they ever return to a New Zealand airport... possibly other countries that may now have their names on record. It's still possible that they didn't realise they were breaking the law, and if that's the case I'm not sure a $100,000 fine and year in jail would be appropriate, which is what keeps getting touted in the media. I think this and other recent events (gecko smuggling, ongoing SAR rescues of ill-equiped people, etc) does continue to highlight some potential mis-information that many tourists have when they visit here. I notice that in the recent FMC bulletin (March 2010) yet another person is complaining about young tourists "doing it cheap" by staying in huts on the pretext of a "free" holiday (ignoring the fees), and so on. I've flown into New Zealand a couple of times recently, and besides the regular plethora of information about biosecurity and customs laws for entering the country, I'm not sure I've seen any information about how to act and what to expect in New Zealand when partaking in some of the activities that many people visit for. Not everyone does their research before arriving. Perhaps some problems (though I doubt all) would be solved by simply having pamphlets on clear display at the international arrival gates, titled things like "Important information about tramping/hunting/fishing/visiting-the-outdoors in New Zealand", and "Punishment for smuggling animals and plants from New Zealand", etc, or whatever seems most likely to get the attention of people who cause the problems (intentioanally or not).
3 deleted posts from SvetlanSehpr, actiosyBiot, Gentolisp
91–95 of 95

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by brenthen
On 7 March 2009
Replies 94
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown