Tracks, routes, and huts

126–150 of 1,237

One last chime from me: Be sure to check out DOC's NLNP Visitor Centre in St. Arnaud before embarking on your adventure. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable, and can verify or otherwise refine the weather ...
1 2
Grinning
Thanks madpom and waynowski. I’m feeling that the DOC suggested times for Mt Misery and Mt Cedric routes are probably fairly realistic for me and not too generous. Perhaps need to sweet-talk the grandparents into ...
Grinning
As per the FMC webpage: https://www.fmc.org.nz/2019/09/14/mount-somers-huts-on-doc-booking-system/ DOC has now confirmed that both huts will be on the booking system for the summer season, starting 1 October 2019. The Annual Hut Pass can s...
Thumbs up
Hi si-dog, email is ihuntenator@gmail.com
Photo of it here (interesting album it belongs to, too). https://ninadickerhof.smugmug.com/TrampingandmountaineeringinNew/Aspiring-Region/Rock-Burn-to-Arawhata-17-30/i-HBxkWXb/A
Thanks a lot fellas - you've managed to get me looking into even more trip possibilities! All sound great though. I reckon I might head Lewis Pass way unless the weather looks decent for the ...
Cheers @lenshaw. Will check Begley out when I get the chance. Am looking for a pass into the Travers or Sabine from the Wairau that I can recommend to others as the rest of that ...
1 2 3 4
Thumbs up Grinning
Hi friends We are doing the Heaphy track **East to West**, going in on 29/12, and out on 1/1/20. Looking for anyone doing it over these dates going the other way that would like to swap cars ...
take away the cooking and dining area at the front and the balconies and the perspex
Made it last Friday and had an awesome trip with our 5yo and now 3yo. Weather was PERFECT. Thanks for all the advice, found the shortcut no problems :-) Three others in the hut
Grinning
Kellys Hut is owned and operated by the Dan and Christine Kelly. This small boutique business is on the website www.mountainhut.nz. If independent trampers wish to visit please get in touch with Dan Kelly 0274427036. ...
just come out. hardly any snow in northern end. bit around mitre, 3 kings etc still.
Thumbs up
organised in advance. I guess you could take your chances, but I would almost book earlier in the offseason just because we were the only 2 people being ferried that day. So potentially the boat ...
1 2 3
Thumbs up
Thanks for the feedback guys, that's exactly what I needed. I'll keep an eye on the forecast and look into the Ruahines and Kawekas as a backup.
You will really have a lovely walk and it would be good to go in summer. As the rocks in the river be too slippery you better carry a stick. IF you wish you can ...
I don't know about quite a bit, but maybe a little more difficult. I was glad to rest at Dunn's Ck on the way through as I had come from Julia Hut (not too much ...
Thumbs up
I take guided day trips up there, and as far as bang for your buck goes, you really can't go past a simple stroll down to the Tasman Glacier lake where the river starts. A ...
DOC wanted to get a great walk in in the north for easier access for the bigger population... easier said than done since there's a lot of conditions that need to be met to qualify ...
1 2
Grinning Thumbs up
Thanks for the advice. I haven't tried DoC yet as my success rate has been low over the years (often no-one answers the phone), but will give them a ring closer to the date. These ...
Hi there, I'm looking to do some tramping in the Tangihua forest within the next few weeks. Has anyone been there recently that can offer some information on the condition of the tracks, especially the ...
@giuseppe23 easy mistake to make when you look at @madpom's avatar photo... :smile:
1 2
Grinning Thumbs up
Hi Gregor I remember the trig on the summit of Phyllis Fell and I see there is a trig marked on Spot Height 1582. When we were there it was an October and spring flowers were ...
I've done the track twice and both times hiked north to Wanui Bay from Marahau, but would actually recommend the reverse, ending at Wanui Bay is pretty meh, then you need to wait for your ...
Thanks @Ian_H and @Yarmoss Looks like I'll think about doing this later in the year getting closer to summer.
@izogi Yes that's Pinnacle Spur alright. The contour lines match up perfectly.
1 2 3
Thumbs up Grinning Boot
126–150 of 1,237

Search the forums

Tracks, routes, and huts Ideas, plans, trip reports.
Topics 1,237
Posts 10,097
Top contributors
Permanent link