Tararuas track recommendations

Hi all, I am again looking for track recommendations to try and trick my friends into spending time in the bush with me. This time I am looking for overnight tramps in the Tararuas. Since I am from ak and will be visiting friends down in Wellington, I'd like to take them out with me overnight. Could anyone familiar with the area recommend tramps that are: - Overnight to a hut (preferably a crusty old 4 bunker with a fire) - <3 hours drive from Wellington CBD - 3-4 hours from carpark - gorgeous to look at Thanks heaps in advance P.S. I had a look on the DOC website, but the search feature seems to only suggest two tracks...? P.P.S two night tramps might also be good, could push it out to 5 hours.
28 comments
11–20 of 28

Don't go to Cone hut. That's a pretty nasty walk, no views.
Two alternatives: Alpha hut. Once there you can take a trip to Alpha or beyond, and safely return to the hut. Herepai. Again you can stay in the hut, next day, or same day go up Herepai or further for an excursion. Both huts give you good views on nice days, and even in gales allow quick, and easy retreat. Unlike Arete hut for example, if you end up there, you're committed.
Powell is scheduled to be reopened soon (I think 21st June)- so if you are coming in July that could be an option.
Man you guys barely read posts. The poster is after a rustic 4 bunk hut with a fire place. None of the suggestions meet that but cone. Needing the hut within 3-4 hours would mean not the fittest or most experienced trampers. It's also a terrible time of year to tramp the tararua without experience. Hence my cone hut suggestion. Also being only a 2 hour hike from carpark means a lightly loaded hike to cone top is easily possible. And the view from there of the Tararua peaks is stunning. They views along the track to alpha and herepai are crap. The marchant is a horrible track and not 3-4 hours.
Thumbs up
Please don't mention cow creek. I think it's been removed lol. Me and my 2 bros had it for 5 nights during this past roar. We shared it with an old fulla for 2 nights then had it to ourselves for the rest. Not even another hunter encountered this side of blue range. Bliss.
Grinning
Cow Creek is still there. I was there recently. Its just not the best IMO. Arete forks is way better but there is the "track" from hell to get to it. Ugh.
Boot
I know it's still there. It was a joke. It's a magic spot if you enjoy hunting. The sidle to arete forks is enjoyed by one man and one man only. And that's the man that spends more time at arete forks than any other. He shall remain nameless lol.
Do you mean the Ex-NZFS guy who has done a lot of work on Arete Forks hut? I agree - except I think the track would have also been enjoyed by whatever sadist created it as well.
Is there a track-cutting culture in the Tarrys or do you all have a policy of leaving the leatherwood etc. intact?
@Honora In my experience most of the Tararua tracks are sufficiently well used to be self-maintaining to a large extent, although DoC does put teams in to look after things like big slips, heavy windfall, bridge damage and the like. They do spend reasonable money on infrastructure because much of it does get a fair amount of use. Most huts will see many hundreds of visitors per year if not more. At the same time a fair number of the lesser used tracks have effectively been closed, get no maintenance and removed from maps. However I am aware of at least one track on the eastern side that a local tramper has kept open. Some people do carry saws and loppers, but this is the exception rather than the rule. It's my impression the local DoC people aren't much in favour of it. My opinion only; others may be better informed.
11–20 of 28

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by M400-1
On 8 June 2019
Replies 27
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown