Cold Stream Hut - Lake Sumner FP

Quick update re: Cold Stream Hut in Lake Sumner FP: major rat infestation! Had an overnight there this past Thursday. Hut reeked of rat urine, with ammonia stains on the bunk slats. There was a veritable rat city in the ceiling void, with parties continuing through the night. Even heard them in the void during the day, so you know they owned the place. Couldn't get the stench out of my nostrils for the entire tramp out.
Yuk! I've sent DoC an email so they know and I've put your alert on the hut page details here too. cheers, Honora
Coldstream was famous for its rats 15 yrs ago. Guess nothing's changed.
The person who is now caring for the hut has been given bait and will replace the mattress covers as well. So all good.
Thanks again very much, Honora! I know this is one of perhaps dozens of huts that may have extensive rodent infestation. However, I felt it appropriate to comment on this page because the hut is popular with all sorts as an easy, accessible overnighter. Thank you for your quick action and notification of relevant parties.
Cheers, Gregor. A DoC ranger has been in and placed 2 rat bait traps and replaced the mattress covers. He intends to do some track cutting there this summer. We did a nice circuit there one time, going up on the Hooligan Range and summiting Phyllis Fell then dropping down spurs to the Hurunui. Alas, it has lost its name and is now spot height 1582.
Great news, Honora! Thanks again for bringing the issue directly to DoC's attention. And good on DoC for servicing the hut and track. It looks like www.topomap.co.nz has 1582 listed as Hooligan where Trig 1426 is. To get down to the Hurunui do you remember if you went south towards Ben Cliberick or WSE towards point 1440?
Hi Gregor I remember the trig on the summit of Phyllis Fell and I see there is a trig marked on Spot Height 1582. When we were there it was an October and spring flowers were emerging on the summit from the melting snow. Very pretty. There was green clematis flowering at the bushline from Cold Stream Hut too. We went over Point 1440, then 1212, 1150 and off the edge of the spur down to 500m upstream of the footbridge. I'd like to get into Glenrae Hut from Cold Stream but Frank isn't interested as he says hunters drive there so it wouldn't be nice.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Gregor
On 29 April 2019
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown