Tracks, routes, and huts

176–200 of 1,237

My understanding is the park boundary is at the swing bridge 12kms in from Muddy Creek. That first/last section is on private land.
Thumbs up Boot
I have to disagree with the above posts regarding Deadmans. I've been down it twice in the last few years and found it very straightforward. Yes, rough and boggy, the odd windfall, but not hard ...
Thank you, all who have contributed to this thread. I feel somewhat reassured by your replies to my concerns.
I can't have missed some of you guys by much as I was in the Raglan range area Jan 8 and 9. Climbed Scotts Knob then dropped down to Siberia. Had been planning to head over ...
1 2
Thumbs up
Great. Thanks guys!
Thanks all. I get the best night sleep in my hammock even sleeping on my side. If you sleep on an angle to the centre line (upper body on one side of the CL and ...
This site has an useful track finder function up in the top toolbar. Entering in 300km from Auckland and overnight trips of any difficulty gives you 41 options...
Thumbs up
Thanks, that's pretty reasonable.
Thumbs up
https://flic.kr/p/8ZR3fa i wouldn't be without an axe on the route but as it turned out with no snow on it, i never removed it from my pack. It does require a cool head.
1 2
Thumbs up
I'd change your day 4 to spend the day checking out Crucible Lake and overnight at Siberia hut again or walk down to Kerin Forks hut for that night. Then to pick up the extra day ...
1 2
the wind regularly gets above 20 knots down there, its been blowing over 100km recently
1 2
One thing you can always do with the Heaphy is do it back to back. Start from Brown Hut, spend a rest day in Karamea, then head back. You can mix up the huts, perhaps Saxon and ...
1 2
Thumbs up
Great! I’m planning to just follow the crossing track back to Whakapapa. Figure the loop will be a longish day.
Ruahine thanks for your help - much appreciated.
1 2 3
Boot
Thanks everyone!
Thanks Berend. I've also got the book "Pioneers of Martins Bay", an old 1947 book by a adult who grew up there as a child. She describes her amazement at seeing a horse for the ...
Grinning
CTC link has changed, it is now: http://www.ctc.org.nz/index.php/trip-reports?goto=tripreports%2F155
Thumbs up
Had a go at finding Ted's Track (runs between the Blowhard and the Bypass Tracks on Mt Richardson). We couldn't find the top end but found the start of it at the low saddle between ...
1 2
I hear and see them very often e.g. 2 weeks ago in the Otehake. I dread their coming to us if we're camping and have learnt to repel them by sqirting them with a water ...
1 2
Thumbs up Heart Grinning
has anyone been to lake Adelaide recently from the Moraine Crk ( Hollyford Rd End ) ? Whats the state of the track ? Windfalls / well marked etc
If it hasn’t been raining in 24 hours the crossings are fine, the bigger ones are all bridged with 3 wire bridges. Of coarse, this is southern Fiordland where that means little. I got stuck at ...
1 2
Thumbs up Heart
fwiw,when you get to the Cascade using the 4wd track,go downstream. for a few hundred yards to find a fine gravelled crossing.In average flows this is crutch deep but quite safe.Upstream is narrower & deep.If ...
Yikes, thats one way to do it Wayno!
@Cabbage: thanks for that. We've been concentrating on the track work.
Thumbs up
Hi , can someone tell me roughly how long the track from Bog Inn to Waihaha hut takes to walk please? Its part of the TA trail and looks like a nice overnight walking deviation ...
176–200 of 1,237

Search the forums

Tracks, routes, and huts Ideas, plans, trip reports.
Topics 1,237
Posts 10,097
Top contributors
Permanent link