Alpine route Mt.Richmond or Traverse-Sabine ?

Hello people! With the warm season coming up dreams start to get more alive. I would be interest on two particular treks. 1)Alpine route in the nelson area or 2)Traverse sabine circuit.(If I'm not wrong @berend did last summer) Did someone of you did both? Which one would you suggest? Any particular recommendations? Would love to do this end of Jen/Feb. Please feel free to comment.
31 comments
11–20 of 31

I have walked both in various forms over the years and personally I would not let the fact TA passes through there put you off visiting either area. I would just make sure I was carrying alternate shelter — which you really should be doing in those areas anyway — in case you do run in to over crowding of huts. Depending on your capability there is also the option, especially around the Travers-Sabine, of adapting your route so you do not need to be staying at many of the same huts as are used on TA.
Thumbs up
if the weather is bad i'd avoid the alpine route in the richmond ranges in summer, huts full. hard to tent in it, very exposed.
Well, yes, most alpine routes are best avoided in bad weather... I would also not use this as a reason to write off this entire area of the country as a place to visit. You also mainly do not need to tent on the exposed tops as it is not hard to camp next to many of the huts on this route. Old Man Hut for example has a lot of flat ground around the hut plus good campsites just inside the bush edge and is well down off the range. Richmond/Armchair Saddle Hut site doesn't have as much space but you could easily get a tent up (quite a few stumps around when I was last there but that was probably 15 years ago). Mt Fell Hut site is a little more awkward as it is on sloping ground but there would be space for one and two man tents I am sure. Anything in the Pelorus River is easily camped next to. I have not been over Rintoul and Purple Top so can't comment on the sites past there. Should all be practical with appropriate equipment and common sense.
watch the DOC website for notifications on their alerts pages , the richmond ranges huts have run out of water in recent dry summers, and the high no of hut users..
mmm...yeah probably I'm leaning more towards the traverse-sabine. Looks like a great walk...nice to enjoy and with a mixed of panoramic views. Lakes, Alpine and bush. You reckon six days are enough to enjoy all the walk?
@giuseppe23 yes, we did Travers - Sabine, with one day to the Blue Lake, then at Sabine hut we went up via Cedric track to Angelus hut, out via Roberts Ridge. Sometimes it's simply nice to do popular tramps as so many people do them, so you see it a lot, and people talk about it a lot, so finally you can talk about it too! :-) This was a big tramp, took us 8 days (with one rest day). We had a tent, so we exclusively slept in the tent. But we like talking to people so no problem it was busy. But I don't like sleeping in a full hut. A couple of times we had the tent just somewhere, so nice and remote, at others times closish to the hut. The highlights were Blue Lake and Angelus Hut + Robert Ridge. We had rain for the Travers Saddle, so didn't get too see too much. Due to the tent didn't really feel it was "full". Plenty of space for everybody.
Thumbs up
@berend Thank you so much for your feedback. I was looking forward too. Tent could be a potential option but will add 2/3 kilos to a backpack that would be full for one of week on tramping...I have to think about that. Does these huts get so busy that you can end up on the floor ? Didn't think that traverse-sabine was so popular...but I still want to do it because looks really amazing.
I think there probably is a spot left for you. Don't miss the Blue lake!
Grinning
I'll chime in again. T-S is an outstanding circuit, full stop. Both valleys are supremely beautiful. It will be crowded all summer with the potential for overflowing huts. Check out my name that someone carved into the table at John Tait Hut around the time I was a hut warden on the circuit in 2014- something about which I'm totally chuffed! Variants on the circuit are mainly in the Travers: consider Hopeless and Cupola Huts rather than the valley huts there. The once pristine Blue Lake now has green algae. There's a touchy-feely sign about respecting the lake, but if it were me, I would put up a sign that read, "Anyone getting near the lake will be shot on sight!" So, if you camp, please, please, please respect the area and do not put one finger in Blue Lake. Mt. Cedric track is straight up for @ 1400 metres, but it's a great way to finish the trip along the outstandingly beautiful Robert Ridge. If you have an extra night consider staying at Bushline Hut. Although busy, it's an amazing hut just off Robert Ridge overlooking Lake Rotoiti and St. Arnaud. I know I can sound like an old codger when it comes to TA. Perhaps it's because I feel helpless that our beautiful, special home is becoming increasingly popular on the world stage. I have to remind myself that I am a migrant to this great country and I was drawn here by the same inclinations as our international friends that visit our land to walk Te Araroa.
Thumbs up
To answer a couple of your questions, G23; Yes, the T-S (inc Blue Lake) can be done in 6 days but that leaves no time for side trips or delays due to weather. Yes, carry a tent (imo, other than on Great Walks, should always carry a tent) as the huts really can be overflowing in Summer. Also, Angelus hut (and campsite) needs to be booked in advance. It's an easy return side trip up to Blue Lake from West Sabine hut. With a tent, you have the option of camping elsewhere - almost anywhere up the Travers valley, on the Travers saddle, down the Sabine River, a little away from Angelus hut .... Makes for a very flexible tramp. Lots of wasps - carry some bicarb soda (if stung, make a paste and paint on bite area). There are lots of side trips but up to Sunset Saddle and then on up to Angelus Peak is pretty good.
Thumbs up
11–20 of 31

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by giuseppe23
On 2 October 2019
Replies 30
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown