Kids Gear

I've got a nine and seven year old wanting me to take them on my tramping adventures and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where I can find good cheap gear for kids this age. Mainly boots, packs and sleeping bags.
18 comments
11–18 of 18

Planning on taking them to punga hut or baine iti. Easy hikes to rugged bush huts that they will love. Dont know Punga hut but Ive done Bainiti in jandles. It would be a perfect first tramp with a bit but not too much of everything including night time visitors. Maybe too much night time visitors
Assuming you mean Punga in the northern Tararuas? Trouble with Punga is the walk to the bushedge through the PNCC forestry ... unless you can get the key. Not the most exciting of walking - 5km of logging tracks through felled pines. Cool hut though ...
They will think the forestry is like a ww2. battlefield. They will think its an unbelievable adventure. pushing through scrub then staying in a dirt floor punga hut. Deer antlers all over the walls.
Well, you've convince me Gaiters! But do kids still have imaginations like that? Or have they been outsourced to Sony and Microsoft?
These boys are lucky. Been bought up well. Born in a bush cabin with generators for power. They absolutely love the outdoors and the youngest one is dying to go bush. They thought chasing sheep was hunting hahaha. Me and the missus are really looking forward to it too.
@Gaiters Sure. I will give you the labelled sizes and will measure the insoles for better accuracy. I opened a box of stuff in the garage last night and found their earlier Kathmandu Pipsqueak sleeping bags too, but they may be too small for your kids but may get you started. Once again in very good condition(no accidents :) I could email you photos as well if that helps?
Just sent you an email.
I get 2nd hand packs off Trademe. Osprey make some really good kids packs, but an adult daypack should work as well. I also get them 2nd hand leather boots off Trademe, but they are few and far between so you need to keep an eye out. For sleeping bags, I have upgraded mine before it was really required and handed the old one down when the each kid started joining us.
11–18 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Gaiters
On 9 June 2014
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown