Death on Canterbury mountain

Department of Conservation volunteer found dead after fall on Canterbury mountain RIP please do not speculate on the cause of death. https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/mid-canterbury-selwyn/100149440/man-found-dead-after-fall-on-canterbury-mountain A Department of Conservation (DOC) volunteer has been found dead after falling on a Canterbury mountain. Police were called about 4.30pm on Friday after the 29-year-old man was reported overdue from a trip to Mt Somers, near Methven. He was last seen at the Pinnacles Hut on Thursday afternoon and had been planning to return to the Woolshed Creek Hut. Police said phone polling on Friday evening indicated the man's phone had stayed in one spot. Geraldine police Constable Matthew Blakemore said man was tramping alone and fell while heading from the Pinnacles Hut to the Mt Somers summit. He said the fall was "possibly 30 metres". There was no indication of how the tramper had fallen yet. Land Search and Rescue (LandSAR) members, DOC staff and police started searching for the man on Friday afternoon, Blakemore said. The man's body was found "on dark", about 10pm, by a helicopter carrying LandSAR staff. The body was recovered from the mountain on Saturday morning. Blakemore described the terrain as "steep and rocky" and difficult. "For the most part its very steep and sharp and exposed." In a statement, DOC said it was "sad to confirm" a volunteer hut warden's body had been found. The man looked after the Woolshed Creek Hut and "was excited about volunteering for DOC". "DOC are devastated by this tragic loss of life and are focusing on support of his partner and family and returning the body as soon as possible," the statement said. "The department will be reviewing the tragic incident to determine what happened." Pinnacles Hut is a popular 19-bed hut on the north face of Mt Somers. The rhyolitic basalt rock formations near the hut are well known for their rock climbing, with 106 routes in the area. Police said the man's death has been referred to the coroner.

Woolshed Creek Hut uses Volunteer wardens, even Australian Tourists, celebrating Australia Day, there for a week. Sadly, he died. Mt Somers is in Canterbury. The rhyolitic basalt rock formations look gnarly. What more can I say OP ?.

"Police have named the volunteer Department of Conservation hut warden who was found dead near a rural Canterbury during his first week in the role. Calvin Lim, 29, of Christchurch died in a fall near Pinnacles Hut at Mt Somers. The area is in the foothills of the Southern Alps, east of Ashburton. "Our thoughts are with Calvin's family and friends at this time," police said. On Friday, Andy Roberts, told Newstalk ZB that Lim loved being in the outdoors and was "really excited" about the opportunity, the department's eastern South Island operations' director. "It's just a very, very sad situation." Lim , who was a warden at Woolshed Creek Hut, was reported overdue at 4.30pm on Friday and phone polling over the next few hours indicated the man's phone was at one location. A helicopter was sent and the man's body found just before 10pm, police said. "It appears that he had fallen near Pinnacles Hut." Roberts said the man was not involved in hut-related duties when he died. "It seems he was out for a walk, he was well off the track ... he's been up on the side of Mt Somers and fallen in a very bluffy area." " http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11965517

"... Phone polling over the next few hours ...." They ring your phone. If it is on & rings they can then pinpoint your GPS location ? I usually turn mine off. Perhaps I should leave it on & crank it down to Airplane Mode or something ?.

This thread branched to "locating by cell phone" on . Explore the branch (29 messages).

Very rough terrain up there. I've only heard of one individual going to Mt Somers that way. I've taken routes closer to the saddle between the 2 huts.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by waynowski
On 23 December 2017
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image) ![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown