Gaiters?

Macpac have a pair on sale for $62 less 30%. Any thoughts on whether a strap or wire is best under the boot? These ones have a strap.
51 comments
21–30 of 51

Yeah !. Had to Google 'Kevlar Chord'. House of Poi reckons it's a great wick, yet Unique Titanium.com say it's flame resistant ?. From what I read, is it narly like Cutty Grass/Toetoe ?. @MTBKing Twin Needles in Chch can reproduce from a sample of tramping kit. They were formerly the manufacturers of Macpac stuff I believe ?.
Twin Needles has some staunch looking gaiters. I mentioned a while ago about Aarn Tate playing around with developing cuben fibre gaiters that could attach to short overtrousers (saving weight). I've got the strap thingy for the first time. I was a bit doubtful about it but it seems to be wearing OK. (Kathmundu gaiters). I used to use bike cable and those chocolate box connectors and then started using Lindsay Main's cables with key rings. In the summer I get heat rash so have to use cut down socks and tie them into my shoelaces. A bit of a nuisance but no other option. Just the thought of booties makes my tinea itch!
yea I gave up replacing it on mine, after going through a few different things. I found that it didn't really do much anyway. Honora,I remember you talking about those gaiters, I think you said he never went into production?
I have various brands some even home. I used to use cord of some sort but got sick of it breaking so went to Lindsay Main's cables. These are great but if they are not long enough it is a battle to get them on some times. I have never tried the straps as I thought they might also break.
So after reading the advice you all gave me I came to the conclusion that there are as many opinions as there are trampers so I decided to buy the Macpac Gaiters with the strap underneath and see how they go. Cost $45 after discount. I'm off for a few walks in the snow next week so if you read in the headlines " Man lost after gaiter strap breaks" all you wire supporters can say " I told you so" I'll report back in a few weeks with an update on how they performed.
I have Cactus Climbing canvas gaiters, after the under boot cord wore through I have never bothered with anything there again and just use the wire clip through the laces at the front without any problems
"Putties would be more yer bandage wrap ?. Before the dawn of one-piece velcro synthetic gaiters ?. " That is the origin of putties but nowdays putties and gaiters pretty much mean the same thing although putties tend to be shorter and less likely to have a foot strap. Spectra is very strong and a close relative of plastic milk bottles. It is very prone to fraying. I use it on my 4wd winch but wouldnt use it for this application. Also known as plasma or Dynema. Kevlar string is a form of carbon fibre It would make a great wick as it is fine fibres spun together The fact it doesnt burn would just make it last longer. Very expensive but you dont need much. Dont try to cut it with anything that is not razor sharp. I like the 3mm chain idea When the straps on my gaiters failed all I had was 8mm chain Heavy but they have lasted 3 years now
Have worn puttees since I was tramping at college. used the Army WWI surplus ones initially, then got hand made ones, from calico. still use them. Gaitors were the WWII version of puttees, and used those for a short while. Quite different than puttees, IMO.
@pipeking Aarn has so many ideas and works in progress. He has recenlty created a tent that can be run with a stove inside. It is quite heavy so is for car camping. I've seen other versions of this tent e.g. as a teepee. I see he's now commenced commercial production of cuben packs: http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!cuben-fibre-packs/c21wd
@Honora I always cook in my vestibule? I guess thats not strictly my tent.. @mantis, yes, thats what I was saying too I haven't had anything on mine for about 15 years now. Wtf does the strap/chain etc even do?? nothing haha
21–30 of 51

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mr Finch
On 16 June 2015
Replies 50
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown