Gaiters?

Macpac have a pair on sale for $62 less 30%. Any thoughts on whether a strap or wire is best under the boot? These ones have a strap.
51 comments
51–51 of 51

For general off track bush work my Aarn "Guiding Light" pack with sports balance pockets is fine. However I've made some modifications so that the pockets sit slightly higher and don't move around as much. This involves doing away with the stretchy tensioners and adding an extra tie at the front high on the chest which I do up tight so that the edges of each pocket meet at the centre line of your body. This stops the bounce "militaris" talked about and also means the pockets sit less peripheral and slightly higher. Now if your body will fit thru a gap your balance pockets and pack will also fit through plus there is no interference with your thighs if lifting your legs high. Before my modifications I wasn't entirely happy with how the pockets performed off track. Leg movement restriction on steep uphills & catching on scrub were the concerns. Post modification this pack is fine for untracked bush work. (BTW I'm pretty sure the new pockets are a better design than the early SBPockets I bought) Pockets causing extra sweat/heat hasn't been an issue for me. I like the windbreaking effect they have in cold weather.
51–51 of 51

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mr Finch
On 16 June 2015
Replies 50
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown