Gaiters?

1–10 of 51

Macpac have a pair on sale for $62 less 30%. Any thoughts on whether a strap or wire is best under the boot? These ones have a strap.
My gaiters are Gortex Sea To Summit Alpine with rubber straps which I really like (reinforced rubber). Two years on, the straps are only sightly frayed at the edges but otherwise show no sign of wear - despite being subjected to some impressively sharp rock in screes etc. The straps are also replaceable which is a good feature. I did have some Outdoor Research Pertex gaiters but were far too sweaty - they also had rubber straps.
I've got the same S2S ones. Agree re straps, they're really, really tough. The only wire strap gaiters I've owned were a pair of Kathmandu ones that the straps kept falling off. I left one in the scrub somewhere in the Kawekas one day, and threw his mate out when I got home.
I don't wear boots. Couldn't be bothered. They're heavy, and once wet, they stay wet. So the only gaiters I use are Dirty Girl gaiters, made of lycra, that simply keep rocks and debris out of my shoes. How do I stop my feet from freezing? I wear wetsuit socks. ;)
What ??? We back onto tramping again ?. I only ever wear heavy dernier nylon ankle gaiters like this - http://www.wherestoddnow.com/gear/gearpics/orlowgaiters.jpg Onto my 2nd pair, NZ made, as I couldn't get original OR brand. Underneath ?. A length of 3mm chain (any hardware store) attached by plastic cable ties. I find the cable ties need replacing after a few years. Once 1 goes, replace the other as well.
:D
Sometimes I wear a shorter OR runner's gaiter (with strap) in summer at lower altitudes but in sub alpine zones, the taller ones are pretty good at warding off spaniard attacks. Some spikes get through but it's still worth wearing them. My husband once had a shin vein punctured by a spaniard and he didn't realise how much blood he lost till his foot felt sticky. What a mess.
Wow! That's awesome and gross at the same time!
hey @proactive they look exactly like my granddads haha he called them 'putties'
"I don't wear boots. Couldn't be bothered. They're heavy, and once wet, they stay wet. So the only gaiters I use are Dirty Girl gaiters, made of lycra, that simply keep rocks and debris out of my shoes. How do I stop my feet from freezing? I wear wetsuit socks. ;)" this I have to see :)
1–10 of 51

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mr Finch
On 16 June 2015
Replies 50
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown