So, where are you tramping over the weekend?

Overniters or day trips. Be interesting to know where we go. The weather looks pretty crappy in general, so there may not be too much going on at the moment. We find it hard to start walking in the rain, but if it happens while we're out there it's not so bad.
218 comments
181–190 of 218

from a DOC ranger i met in the pureora
This weekend I am following in Pmcke steps and going to Leitch's Clearing Hut. My second trip here, should be a nice easy overnighter.
been for quick daytramp up to pouakai hut and back, the wind was so strong i got blown over a few times and it was absolutely freezing, was worse on the tops, my face started to hurt from the cold so didnt muck around!, didnt see anyone else- no surprises there!
We had an uneventful overnight Friday at Leitch's. By the looks of the log book it has been very busy this year, very different to what I saw in the book this time last year.
Actually you put it in a nutshell "uneventful". I think that is what would sum up a trip to Leitch's Hut. However I think it is a great trip for someone doing their first overnight trip out to a hut. When we went past there was very fresh goat's head on the sign by the gate. It would have been getting quite ripe by the time you got there. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/pmcke/Tramping%20Trips/Leitchs%20Hut/DSC01394_th.jpg
Have been stuck at home for the best part of the last month feeling weak, but now using a asthma prevention medication for the last 5 days and now have much more energy, before I was getting puffed even walking up the stairs. If my energy and fitness continues to improve I would hopefully be able to get up into the mountains before the end of winter. Only another 2-3 months and I would be getting into my fishing again so would have little time for tramping :) Might try and find a nice little overnight trip which does not require to much climbing for a test run :)
With frost still on the ground at 4.30 pm, it was still pretty fresh. It did not look like it had been there long. I gathered from your photo's you did not find it that exciting, I was determined to take photos that would better show off the trip, it was a lot of hard work. It really is not that exciting, but it makes a nice winter trip, plenty of firewood and a cosy hut. We had the company of some pretty interesting locals, made for a nice evening. There are some pretty good tracks up over the peaks and even a trig that would make a nice day trip from the hut, so I may go back sometime.
Extreme weather also took place around Melbourne and there was a rainstorm in Dandenong and a windstorm in Caulfield yesterday, Saturday 11 July 2009. As a rule, bushwalkers based in Melb, Victoria go west in Winter (if poor snow conditions). Just spent several days on walking in two of Victorian deserts, Australia. The link provided is a photograph of a remote campsite on Sunset Walking Track in Murray-Sunset National Park which is located in northwest Victoria and about 550km from Melb.and 400km from Adelaide. The walk can be done in three days; but another half of day added to it would be perfect. There is a water tank at each walk-in campsite. Start early because the walk of each day is rather long (around 20km a day) and the day is short. It gets dark at about 6.15pm and the daylight starts at about 7.30am. The park was well looked after and the ranger was helpful and caring. For more information about the Mallee Parks, please go to ParkVic website. http://members.westnet.com.au/dzungn/walk_in_camp.jpg
that photo brings back some memories. Lived in Western Australia for 15 years quite a few parts look just like this.
Yeah, I live there (here) now (WA). That kind of woodland is where I grew up :)
181–190 of 218

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Tracking
On 4 July 2008
Replies 217
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown