So, where are you tramping over the weekend?

Overniters or day trips. Be interesting to know where we go. The weather looks pretty crappy in general, so there may not be too much going on at the moment. We find it hard to start walking in the rain, but if it happens while we're out there it's not so bad.
218 comments
171–180 of 218

trains hut is a great walk, only takes 3 hours or so to get there and a bit of history to look at along the way, we are heading to iron gate hut on friday then purity hut on saturday
There is a work party on Sunday at Blue Lake (Tikitapu) Reserve to clear the bait lines ready for poisoning in spring. It is a good chance to go out, do a bit of bush bashing, then be back home by lunch time. I find it really helps with the fitness too and is a good cause.
6 day NW Ruahine circuit from Kawatau base - seem to have been following Hellmission (backwards) for most of the week. 4 days in snow, one 'up to the tackle' in ice cold water and one on dry land! Kawatau -> Crow -> Wakelings -> Maropea Forks -> Colenso -> Iron Back -> Otokuta -> Kawatau.
So, you are on the move again. Good one!
The club has a trip to Leitches Hut near Piopio this weekend. I thought I would go along as it is a new area for me. The weather forecast stinks but this looks like an any weather trip so should be fun
It's a corker hut! Two bedroom with open plan living... Kitchen views over a enchanting clearing. A number of kennels dotted around for snoring club members. What tracks are you taking in/out? Photos in a recent Tramper magazine looked pretty.
Not sure, I am not leading this trip so I will follow. I expect we are going the usual way as described in Shaun Barnett's "North Island Weekend Tramps" and also on this site. I will post a GPX track next week sometime and maybe update the route description here if it needs it.
will be interested to hear about leitches hut, we are looking at heading there one weekend at some stage, looks like a nice cruisy and interesting walk
Similar walk as Trains almost no up and down though a bit shorter. DOC have put at least two extra huts in this area that can produce a more protracted walk but i havnt seen them published anywhere yet.
Where did you hear that? about the huts, that would be so cool. Whareorino is an excellent forest to tramp in.
171–180 of 218

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Tracking
On 4 July 2008
Replies 217
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown