Hut Bagging Rules- a dilemma

I'm not a dedicated hut bagger but huts do interest me a great deal. I started to count one day and got to nearly 400 but then some dilemmas started to occur. eg. Can you count a hut that not longer exists? What if a hut has been replaced and you visit the new one, does that count as two? They are different buildings and often on slightly different sites. Then theres the case of Totara Flats Hut in the Tararuas. When I first visited it was by the swing bridge over the Waiohine, then it moved a kilometre or so downstream and now its back to its old location. 3 distinctly different buildings on 2 sites but chronologically well seperated. Only the name remains constant. Does this count as 1,2 or 3 huts visited?
48 comments
11–20 of 48

My rule would be that if you can imagine what it looks like then you might as well have been there. They all have walls and a roof, right?
Philistine!
Well thats one i've never been to.
Not hard to find its set back on a terrace above "the only real tramper is a tentman" river.:)
I say you have to spend the night in a hut to bag it. I know this goes against plenty of people's personal "rules", but this way you're forced to have the full experience of that hut and the things that make it unique, which people miss out on by just walking past and scribbling their name in the book. Plus, I don't like to half-arse things ;)
Definitely not half anything. That reply took 7 years 1 month and 17 days to formulate. Seriously though each to there own but I would consider at a minimum standing inside and taking a photo. Ive got several huts Ive gone to on the way which are on my list but Im never likely to stay in
Surely you need to spend more than a night. You should spend a night and a day for each date of the year, just to make sure you've experienced it in every season. Then need to make sure that for each of these, you've experienced sleeping on each part of the floor, on each bunk, with windows open, with windows closed, with a hut full of people, and with the hut empty. Then you're well on the way to accomplishing different combinations of experience towards ticking it off your list.
So those huts where you arrive in the dark, stay the night and leave in the dark in the morning don't count?
@izogi. So for the last 7 years I've been counting every hut who's threshold I darken under 'izogi's rule' ... and now you change your mind!
heres my whanau views on bagging a hut. My missus thinks if you touch it. I add take a picture of it (preferably with gilly the dog in front) as well. The oldest boy thinks sign the hut book. The youngest boy thinks 10 hours ?(he doesn't know what he's talking about haha). Baby Hoeroa thinks getting his nappy changed in it.
11–20 of 48

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by bmackz
On 29 April 2010
Replies 47
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown