Hut Bagging Rules- a dilemma

I'm not a dedicated hut bagger but huts do interest me a great deal. I started to count one day and got to nearly 400 but then some dilemmas started to occur. eg. Can you count a hut that not longer exists? What if a hut has been replaced and you visit the new one, does that count as two? They are different buildings and often on slightly different sites. Then theres the case of Totara Flats Hut in the Tararuas. When I first visited it was by the swing bridge over the Waiohine, then it moved a kilometre or so downstream and now its back to its old location. 3 distinctly different buildings on 2 sites but chronologically well seperated. Only the name remains constant. Does this count as 1,2 or 3 huts visited?
48 comments
31–40 of 48

Im not sure. No one has bagged all 3 Powels in the same year so it would still be an achievement. Same with Totora Flats I have slept in all 3 but that one is more allowable as one of the huts was in a different place
give all your tramping mates a lock of your hair and get them to bag huts they go to, so you can bag them too with your hairs presence..
So you're de-bagging Hillary/Everest for not sleeping on the summit?
so then, that means Everest is still up for grabs... who's game? Kreig is going there or is there isnt he?
What size of hut would @Kreig have to build and tear down on the top for it to count?
Getting back to hut bagging, I think a feeling of respect for the hut, not just trophy hunting can come into it. Frank refers to one hut bagger as claiming his bag by pissing against the front door. Not that this hutbagger does but I get the feeling he would have so little regard for some huts that he wouldn't bother returning again to visit. I confess I'm guilty of the same disregard especially if there's been some hype about the hut but when you get there, the impression is it's been neglected or treated with contempt e.g. Tautuku Hut in the Catlins. That hut needs a woodstove or something. Bloody awful visit in the snow in June.
I did competitive running, then got into tramping afterwards. the thing i liked about tramping was, it generally isnt a competitive activity, I dont know why people have to turning things into accumulating a tally based of fixed rules. theres tramping etiquette which is widely accepted and rules around safety and survival and tramping skills, beyond that, i'm happy staying away from tally's, i used to keep tally's but as time went on i spent more time trying to keep track of rising tally's and thats not why i want to tramp... yeah the pressure can be on in tramping too, but a lot of the time, you can be sitting around relaxing, you dont have an appointment to meet, you're not nagged by all the domestic tasks you have to do and work commitments you have when you're in society, dont have to be productive and meat deadlines and targets...
Each to their own ...but for me hutbagging has been a great excuse / motivator to visit bits of NZ that I had / have no interest in visiting. Left to myself I'd spend all my time in my comfort zone of the lesser-visited parts of the Otago / Southland Southern Alps and Eyres (or Tararuas / Ruahines / Kawekas if I'm up north). But hut bagging has shown me challenge and beauty where I never expected it: - Ureweras - Amazing bush. Amazing birdlife. - Kaimais - those views! - Hakatetere - Good exploring with bad weather on the divide. Long valleys but glacial heads the reward. - Tussocklands - Tahr, thar and more tar. Easy tussock routes to the south, Increasingly challenging as you near the Alps: scree-scramble passes, glaciers above. Just avoid Te Araroa / Te Araroa season. - Caples / greenstone. Wonderful passes and head basins. An uncrowded playground once you leave the main valleys. - Shotover-Rees triangle - crumbling broken country. Challenging passes Moirs does 'not recomend'. Unbelievably quiet so close to ZQN. Am I going to fix up a hut, cut tracks, become a guardian of any of those places? No - that is for places closer to my home & heart. But I'm glad to have discovered all of them. I just needed an excuse to go ...
You're not going to get good bagging numbers with that attitude, waynowski! But seriously, I think having a record of where you've been can help you remember trips, andat least find the photos. I think that it's all about setting your own standard. If you feel you need to sleep in the hut then so be it. It can also be fun for kids. My daughter has bird and hut lists.
I do have certain criteria for dunny bagging...
31–40 of 48

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by bmackz
On 29 April 2010
Replies 47
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown