Hut Bagging Rules- a dilemma

I'm not a dedicated hut bagger but huts do interest me a great deal. I started to count one day and got to nearly 400 but then some dilemmas started to occur. eg. Can you count a hut that not longer exists? What if a hut has been replaced and you visit the new one, does that count as two? They are different buildings and often on slightly different sites. Then theres the case of Totara Flats Hut in the Tararuas. When I first visited it was by the swing bridge over the Waiohine, then it moved a kilometre or so downstream and now its back to its old location. 3 distinctly different buildings on 2 sites but chronologically well seperated. Only the name remains constant. Does this count as 1,2 or 3 huts visited?
48 comments
41–48 of 48

you have to do a full flush instead of a half flush??
Agree that hut bagging is a great motivator for exploring places. Frank and I have a list of mountains to climb that have got us to some obscure (to us) places as well.
I bag everything it keeps me motivated. Huts, peaks, rivers, birds, plants what ever is needed to keep getting out there. I'm most addicted to red lines. The new red pen lines that go on the topo map when I get home, that's what I'm into.
@Gaiters Bagged all the plane wrecks in the Tarry's yet? I think I've gotten 6, but someone said there were about 13 or more. But yes, there is way more than huts you can make goals out of. I always need some excuse to motivate me out of the house.
Nah PhilipW, haven't got that bug yet though I know the late Tony Gates was right into it. But you get my point. Whatever gets you out there searching over the next hill, is all good.
@Gaiters Amen to that. I didn't even think there were rules about these things! Just figured it was each to their own when it came to bagging huts/peaks/whatever.
"Darken the door" is my guide, can't just look down from the ridge and see Ballard 200m below and say near enough is close enough. Never considered counting huts until relatively recently we were always more concerned with forging new routes for the "black line" map. I have always kept a diary too so have a good record of which huts I have been to and when. It is now an invaluable source of info for routes and times.
darken the door might not be the idea when you arrive in darkness
41–48 of 48

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by bmackz
On 29 April 2010
Replies 47
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown