New Tramper, looking for gear list?

Hey guys, I'm a new tramper. I'm wondering if anyone could link me, or rattle off a list of must have gear. Chances are most of it is obvious and I've already planned to buy/bought already. But being new there's likely things I've just not thought of and don't want to have an oh shit moment an hour before dusk when I realise I've forgotten something major :) Been getting a feel for things by doing small hikes (just a few hours or so) in local bush. I've also been slowly buying things as I've been able to afford/felt the need for them. As summer hits I'm wanting to start looking at over night hikes up around Russell forest with the dog. Thanks in advance Murdoch
111 comments
21–30 of 111

All great advice here ^^^ On PLB's, definately get one. Hire can be best at first. Only time I didn't hire one this year was on Mt Taranaki last weekend as felt ok and mostly has cell reception. Have only been tramping a short while and already been in a few situations where I felt a lot more comfortable having a PLB on my hip just in case.
These guys seem to rent them out for $5 a day and deliver anywhere in NZ. http://www.rescuebeaconhire.co.nz/ Do they seem legit? Minimum hire $30 I'd admit my life is worth up to $30
Most DoC offices (or whatever outdoors retailer in town) hire them out at $30 for 3 days or $40 for a week, or close enough. Worth it. Will be buying my own shortly.
Yes, I see the $5 service repeatedly quoted as evidence that it's so cheap and therefore nobody has an excuse not to carry one. It's great to have services like this, but the model still doesn't work perfectly if you want to head out and do something relatively spontaneously without planning far enough ahead. Or if you're more into short trips. Each time you want it, it's a minimum of $30, plus $12 delivery, plus an extra $10 delivery if you're in a rural area. That could be $52 every single time you want to go out for a decent day-walk, let alone an overnight tramp or longer, and you probably need to have thought about it at least a couple of days in advance. That's fine if you can afford it and operate with so much planning, but maybe not so much if you're on a lower income, or no income, or have no reliable postal address. Economically you'd have paid for the entire cost of a $300 PLB after 6 or 7 hirings, so it only seems to make sense for someone who doesn't habitually get outdoors. PLBs are an excellent and important tool, but not everyone is within convenient reach of a hiring agent and I'm still not going to completely villify all people specifically for not carrying them as seems to be trendy in modern times, especially if they're taking other measures to reduce the risks and likely consequences of things going wrong. I'd rather the maximum number of people retained the opportunity to get outdoors with fewer barriers of cost and convenience. Plenty of people carry PLBs but still manage to do really dumb things in other ways, which ultimately result in them needing the PLB. Safety planning needs to be looked at in a complete context instead of just specific metrics.
@izogi Absolutely - it's worth keeping in mind that people wandered about the hills and mountains for millenia without PLB's. And even then, along with your first aid kit, the PLB must be one of the few things you take with no intention of ever using it. But humans are devious creatures, when we imagine our risk is reduced we tend to compensate by taking less care. I own oone and always throw it in - but I'm very conscious of their limitations.
Cookers. I won a Kovea Backpacker gas stove a few years ago. Good little cooker for overnights. Not fast at heating water but not slow either. I prefer it to my MSR PocketRocket because I don't like the pot supports turning red hot. http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/en-us/p3322_Kovea_Backpackers_Gas_Stove.html
I dont know Russel forest so cant be too definite but most of us accept the water is drinkable without treatment as long as there is no farming or communities upstream. The water looks clean and clear. It is deep enough with good non turbulent flow to take water at least 300mm from the bottom. By communities this can describe temporary gatherings of people. Boil filter or treat as you feel nessecsary. Boiling takes extra fuel and tabs taste funny. No diy treatment (charcoal filter might work) takes care of blue green algae so if the water is suspected of having this avoid at all costs Think about what you need and the above lists are a good start but there are cheaper ways sometimes. You got a good deal on boots if they fit well. If you can wear 2 pair of socks as this reduces the chances of blisters. Socks must be wool. Gaiters are something to get later They help keep stuff out of your boots and make undergrowth nicer to walk through but not essential Shirt shorts underwear synthetic or merino Cost pretty much makes merrino a winter option and shorts need to be hard wearing. Cotton is very very bad. Mine all come from the warehouse at good prices All you get by going to a tramping shop is a brand name. Polyprops are thermal underwear Can be polyprop of merino Good to keep a set in your pack as they weigh nothing but really winter or alpine wear. If you buy from the Warehouse make sure they are made of polyprop or merrino. They sell thermals made of viscose which is as bad as cotton Fleece layer I like my swandri but microfleece is as good. This layer will keep you warm dont buy cheap (except on clearance) Fleece trousers are good in the winter Coat You must be able to stay dry. For many years I used a blue pvc coat from the warehouse and when I stopped using it tramping I threw it in my 4wd and it has been run over trampled in mud and probably needs its first wash but it is still fully waterproof. It works but that is also its weakness It does not breathe. This is why expensive Gortex is better but dont expect it to last like the Warehouse job. Its a lot of money for a little comfort Gloves and balaclava Winter extras even in the winterless north Map and compass It helps to know where you are so learn how to use it 2 tarps The polytarps make great groundsheets and work as a fly but a nylon fly is lighter smaller and doesnt make as much noise in the rain Sleeping bag is a whole subject of its own Tramp with a friend
Maybe a bit of shameless hinting or emotional blackmail will get you a PLB for your next present from your family...better than getting socks, aftershave and all that stuff you may not appreciate so much. I bought my partner a PLB which I get to enjoy as well and he carries it!
My old man is trying to give me his backpack I'm currently using as an early xmas present, though I'm not sure it's big enough at this stage. I also have a bad back/neck so I need to be sure it's suitable before I commit. The straps seem quite close and I need them to be on my shoulders and no where near my neck, or it'll seize up from the weight and turn into a migraine. I think at this stage I'll rent maybe 1-3 times, at that stage I'm going to know how much I enjoy it and can look at buying one then perhaps. For now I want to start mass buying all these handy nick nacks etc :P Honestly, I think half the fun is just accumulating all the gear.
get what you need first, not what you want.
21–30 of 111

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Murdoch
On 19 October 2015
Replies 110
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown